Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

A-pillar Tweeter Installation

Old 02-22-2006, 03:13 PM
1st Gear
Default A-pillar Tweeter Installation

I've been asked by many of you to share the method of my madness, and construct tutorials of my install in my 2000 Audi S4. You've already seen the tutorials on H/U mounting, fiberglass kickpanels, today's lesson on A-pillars, and the soon to be released IB Subwoofer edition.

In the Fiberglass Kickpanel Tutorial, I talked about the importance of minimizing path length differences. In order to retain proper sound stage height, having tweeters mounted above the dash is essential. This is where the A-pillars come in. Odds are they're the furthest, widest part of our car.

The Audi's got A-pillar mounted airbags. *Disclaimer*: DO NOT PERFORM THIS INSTALL IF YOU CAN'T BE 100% SURE OF SAFETY COMPROMISES. I can't be held responsible, but I would feel TERRIBLE should something bad happen and the airbag goes off, making the tweeters a skull crushing projectile. After reseraching exactly how the airbags deploy in the S4, and measuring, performing a 'gut check', I've concluded in the S4 A-pillar tweeters won't be a safety issue.

1) Remove the factory A-pillars. If you have side curtain airbags, you can bet there's an "idiot proofing" device, in this case a hidden T-25 TORX screw.

2) If the factory A-pillars are covered in a fabric, remove that fabric. If not, this step doesn't apply...or you may engineer your own version. For factory looking results, I'm going to cover them in factory Audi cloth (very similar to grille cloth).

3) The Audi's A-pillars have a plastic backing, with a pattern of holes that I used to ensure the location of each tweeter is identical. Drill a hole through this location, and use this as a guide on the front. I've found some PVC pipe that fits around the tweeter. You may find using MDF easier, but I wanted an ultra low profile to make stretching cloth over it as smooth and easy as possible. Trace the hole for the PVC (tweeter mounting device) onto the a-pillar, and cut out the hole.

4) Pressfit the PVC pipe into the hole, and install the A-pillars back in the car. Align the PVC (tweeters) how you want. COVER THE DASH NEAR/BELOW THE MOUNTING AREA! Apply some glue to the PVC/A-pillar junction, and allow to fully dry.

5) Remove the A-pillars, apply glue on the backside of the junction.

6) Add Layers of Duraglass/Bondo to the front and build up to be flush with the PVC pipe. Sand down to smooth shape. Install the a-pillar in the car to check fittment.

7) Use spray adhesive and wrap the A-pillar.

Cheers,
Matt

Old 02-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Default RE: A-pillar Tweeter Installation

your information is great and I sent to the moderators for review to the DIY section

Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Finished. Let me know if you have any questions, or if I can give more info. The color matches better in person. The camera doesn't hide anything...[:@]

Cheers,
Matt

Old 02-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Site Moderator

Damn, that looks nice.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:48 PM
18T
4th Gear

lol sweet man, you know what those things remind me of? the airvents in a C172R, if youve ever seen them.

great job by the way! you know your stuff!

Old 06-29-2006, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

The above A-pillars (and kickpanels) are now for sale on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

Cheers,
Matt