Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Remote starter recommendations

Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Default Remote starter recommendations

Greetings! I'm the proud owner of a just-bought 1999 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8 V6 sedan. I"m new to this forum but I'm sure I'll be back often.

Minnesota winters can be brutal so I'd like to add a remote starter. The surprisingly few reviews on remote starters/keyless entry systems out there are either too general (Great! Sux! Whatever!) or are car-specific ("Costs extra to install in F-150"). I have two questions:
  1. Are there Audi A6-specific issues I should be aware of as I narrow down choices?
  2. Do you have recommendations on specific starters/brands/features?

I'm looking for 500 ft+ range (car is usually parked aboveground) with standard safety features (shuts off after x minutes or if hood open, won't start if car already running etc.). I'm open to paying more if the system is worth it but want to avoid selecting a system that ends up costing even more because of installation issues. Or at least I'd like to be aware of the issue(s) before I buy.

While I've read some on the Viper system with iPhone app start via Wifi, I don't think it's worth the extra cost though I'd love to hear from anyone who has it.

Thank you in advance!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Baka,
Im new to this forum and to Audi ownership, but I have been doing remote starts for....well...this is my 14th season. I am located in Rogers MN and currently work for Best Buy. I spend some of my time in stores and some of my time working with the corporate tech support center and training acadamy. I have installed them all. Really, ALL of them.

We sell the Viper product (with iphone if you would like) made by Directed Electronics. It is great product and sports a lifetime warranty on parts and labor. I have also worked with compustar and astrostart. All are great reliable brands and will all give you what you are looking for. The Viper product can give you a simple starter, or a full blown alarm with page back technology. There are a few options inbetween as well.

The 99 A6 is not a hard car to do. You may need an immobilizer bypass if your car is equiped with a chipped key, but in 99 it is doubtfull. The dealer can pull your vin and confirm this if you are unsure. If you have an immobilizer, one of your keys would be installed in a module under the dash to bypass the system tempararily while the car is remote started. Like I said, in 99 it is doubtful that you would need this.

An important thing to look for in an installer is to find one that solders and tapes or shrinks ALL of their connections, someone with good experience with your specific vehicle, and someone who will be around to handle any future product issues.

What area of MN are you in? If you are close, id be happy to take care of you. If not, im sure I could hook you up with the right shop. I currently own a 2001 S4, and I am known locally as the guy who does the cars nobody else will...namely cars talked about on this forum. Hope this helped a bit.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Dizfriz, that is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you!

The page-back feature would be nice but I'd need to learn more about the alarm options. I have an iPod so with Wifi I could trigger the Viper but my wife doesn't and we're not getting iPhones.

I'm in Richfield, MN though I work in Shoreview. I've been past Rogers many times when we've gone to the Albertville Outlets or Becker Furniture etc. Are you at the Best Buy off the 101 exit?

If you are working today/tonight, I might be able to drive up there. Tomorrow would probably work fine as well or next week after work.

The Viper 5701 looks interesting as does the Smart Start VSS4000 with iPhone app. Does the Smart Start also have page back? If I'm not in Wifi range, is there a physical remote start like the 5701V?

Many thanks!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dizfriz
Baka,
Im new to this forum and to Audi ownership, but I have been doing remote starts for....well...this is my 14th season. I am located in Rogers MN and currently work for Best Buy. I spend some of my time in stores and some of my time working with the corporate tech support center and training acadamy. I have installed them all. Really, ALL of them.

We sell the Viper product (with iphone if you would like) made by Directed Electronics. It is great product and sports a lifetime warranty on parts and labor. I have also worked with compustar and astrostart. All are great reliable brands and will all give you what you are looking for. The Viper product can give you a simple starter, or a full blown alarm with page back technology. There are a few options inbetween as well.

The 99 A6 is not a hard car to do. You may need an immobilizer bypass if your car is equiped with a chipped key, but in 99 it is doubtfull. The dealer can pull your vin and confirm this if you are unsure. If you have an immobilizer, one of your keys would be installed in a module under the dash to bypass the system tempararily while the car is remote started. Like I said, in 99 it is doubtful that you would need this.

An important thing to look for in an installer is to find one that solders and tapes or shrinks ALL of their connections, someone with good experience with your specific vehicle, and someone who will be around to handle any future product issues.

What area of MN are you in? If you are close, id be happy to take care of you. If not, im sure I could hook you up with the right shop. I currently own a 2001 S4, and I am known locally as the guy who does the cars nobody else will...namely cars talked about on this forum. Hope this helped a bit.
Great Advice
I also am in the electronics business and have been for the last 20 years and have 27 years exp.
Any of the Directed (DEI )brands will serve your purchase
they acquired some of the most reputable companies and improved them
Avital, Ready Remote, AutoStart and AstroFlex,Viper,Python,Hornet, AutoPage & more
Soldering is something you definitely want to be done, it safe a permanent
Here's some info on the Car hope it helps

1999 Audi A6 Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wiring Information

Constant 12V+ Red/White Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Red/Black Ignition Switch Harness or at Relays left of Steering Column
Ignition Blue Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 Purple Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 3 Green Ignition Switch Harness
Accessory Yellow/Black Ignition Switch Harness
Tach Gray/Green Coil Pack
Brake Switch Red/Black Brake Switch
Trunk Pin White/Yellow (-) Harness from Trunk LID
Parking Lights Gray/White L And Green/Yellow R behind Fuse Panel Isolate
Factory Disarm Brown/Green (-) Driver's Kick Panel
Door Trigger Red/Yellow (+) Driver's Side Pillar Harness
Door Lock Green/Blue (-) Tan Connector Driver's Kick Negative Trigger
Door Unlock Brown/Yellow (-) Double Pulse to Unlock,Disarm Alarm
Windows Up LF=White/Purple, RF=White, LR=Yellow/Black, RR=Green/Yellow
Windows Down LF=White/Black, RF=Black/Green, LR= Yellow, RR=White/Black

Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Default 2006 a4 remote starter

I just had an avital remote starter put in my audi and I noticed a couple of things I thought were unusual. Maybe someone can tell me if this stuff is normal or if someone messed up. I noticed electrical tape around my ignition after installation. I took the car back and was told it was the transponder ring wrapped in the tape. They said "It's the only place they could put it" which I thought was strange. I had a remote starter in my trailblazer and I know the chevy's are easier installs but this just looks like hell. The remote started also unlocks the driver door when I start it. This also didn't happen in my chevy. Are these issues specific to audi/german cars or did I go to a bad shop? Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Default Looking for local installer of remote car starters

Hi. I see there are folks here that I would love to give my business to but they live waaaaaay on the other side of town from me (I'm in Rosemount).

Is there anyone in THIS area that could install a remote starter on my '05 Scion XA?

frailin