Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

replaced MMI control head question????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 PM
1st Gear
Default replaced MMI control head question????

I had a dead mmi screen that I fixed by replacing the mmi control head with a used one. It had the same part number mine had in the car. It now works. My problem now is the speaker mute wont go out the cd player says fault and the lights just flash on it and it doesnt see the bluetooth at all. Does the replacement module need to be reprogrammed to the car? Can I do it with vcds?

Name:  PhotoSep1260844PM.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  79.7 KB

Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Hi.
The unit you've replaced is probably in "component protection" mode.
This is an Audi feature to prevent control units from functioning properly in the event of them being stolen. The unit needs to be "released" but this is done usually at a dealership via an online link to Audis server.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gsjohal
Hi.
The unit you've replaced is probably in "component protection" mode.
This is an Audi feature to prevent control units from functioning properly in the event of them being stolen. The unit needs to be "released" but this is done usually at a dealership via an online link to Audis server.
I believe you are correct about the component protection mode. I have confirmed the speaker mute is a definite from that. I would like to know if the cd player fault is from that as well and I cant access the bluetooth at all either. I understand the cd player also holds component protection and would hate to have to bring it to the dealer twice if it is bad too.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

Hi.
When an mmi control unit is replaced, it needs to be done with a diagnostic tester so that the configured coding of the existing unit can be read and input into the new unit. It's possible that even though the part numbers are the same, they may be coded differently.
This coding is made up of factors like wether the vehicle has a c.d player, Bluetooth etc.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

Yes, it needs to be "unlocked" from component protection which means programmed to your car and your VIN. Far as I know, it has to be done at a dealer with an on-line connection to the Audi database by a tech using his/her "GeKo ID"

Also, yes the CD changer lights flashing is cause by the component protection.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:08 AM
1st Gear
Default replaced MMI control head question?

The seller said you need a C or K toward the finish of the P/N. So I found on ebay a 8R1 035 664D ^ snaptube vidmate rendition and they said it ought to work(it coming from a 2014 Audi A4). The vendor did introduced the unit and eliminate the CP yet said; just the radio was working.