Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Stereo install makes doors rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:07 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Stereo install makes doors rattle

A while back, I did a less than professional job installing new speaker components in each door of my 03' A4. Now, i'm getting some nasty rattling and vibrations that i'd like to get rid of.

My plan is to better secure each of these -

wiring - wrap with sound deadening sticky tape (similar to original factory wiring) + secure multiple points to the door.

crossover box - These have to remain in each door, i'm going to try a layer of padding between the crossover and it's mount point on the door frame, maybe a layer of velcro to prevent contact between the plastic and the metal.

Door panel (missing/broken clips) - (my main reason for writing this) - I can buy 'replacement' door clips from the auto store, but will they fit my a4? Where is the best place to go about getting a bunch of these clips? Do Audi dealerships have these on hand? I suppose they would since they break so easily.

Any other tips or suggestions are mucho appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:09 AM
3rd Gear

Are they the ones that have the square pin and the screw? You can probably buy those from the parts store.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 PM
4th Gear

dynamat

Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 PM

I'm not exactly sure what clips your tlaking about but they should, call them and make sure. As for the rattling you should add some sort of sound deadening material, and if thats too expensive then just find out whats rattling and secure it down well.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

so, it's a few years later. The changes I made helped quite a bit, but it didn't take care of all the noises. So, now I'm armed with a bunch of tools/clips/adhesives from ecstuning and I'm ready to take another stab at it.

Here's my plan:

1 - Add adhesive cloth tape to all wires
2 - Apply sound damper material around the speakers
3 - find out what's making the front left tweeter vibrate to hell.
4 - Apply more damper material where appropriate

btw, all those door clips are easily gotten from the dealer or from a euro parts store like ecs.

I'll let you know how it goes. Part of me thinks the ultimate solution is going to be a hell of a lot of dynamat, or a hell of a lot less bass.

thanks -

aaron

Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Just finished the drivers door, here's the scoop:

1 - Add adhesive cloth tape to all wires (check)
2 - Apply sound damper material around the speakers (check)
3 - find out what's making the front left tweeter vibrate to hell. (check)
4 - Apply more damper material where appropriate (check)

I also saw the vapor barrier's glue had taken a turn for the worse and was coming off in many places. I used some duck tape to secure it. The noise near my tweeter was actually coming from my side mirror; I'm still messing with it, and it's still rattling a bit. The problem is where the two plastic pieces meet. If i hold my hand on them both, no rattle.

I applied sound damper mats to the bare metal, and also between the speaker mount and the door frame.

All in all, i'm very pleased. The door makes a nice thump with no rattle. I will likely give the other 3 doors the same treatment, as I can hear them rattling away now.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

ok bad news. The temp dropped 20 degrees today and some of the rattles, including the worst rattle is still in the drivers side door.

The rattle is between 80-120hz and seems to be coming from inside the door between the tweeter and the woofer. If i press against the panel, i can deaden it, but it doesn't go away completely. I tried to reduce the bass on the front speakers but that kills my mid-bass.

The most annoying thing about this rattle is it occurs at very low volumes. The rattle can be heard listening to talk radio (voice) and any kind of music. I also hear the exact same rattle in the passenger door; so maybe my speakers are hitting something?

I've got a test tone generator on my smartphone, so I can easily reproduce the rattle now, that should help me pin-point it a little better. I'll have to take the door panel off again, but i'm becoming quite the pro at that.

PS. I realize this thread is pretty much just me rambling on about this problem.. The hope is i actually fix it, and the next poor sap won't have as much problems as I am.