Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Strange popping/ noises emitted after aftermarket headunit installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Default Strange popping/ noises emitted after aftermarket headunit installation

first off, i drive an AUDI 100 cs Quattro 1994 with all the usual trimmings including the bose six speaker system without the six cd changer, and i ran into an unusual problem.

when i purchased the car, it had an aftermarket headunit (some kenwood p.o.s) which didnt really do it for me, so i purchased a Pioneer 4800.

now, the original was spliced directly into the wiring of the car without a wiring harness. im sorry to say that it was also a massive hack job. so i simply followed color for color and spliced into the wires i cut from the kenwood, assuming all would be fine. And, of course, i was wrong.

Directly after install i heard a hiss coming from all the speakers, which increased in volume as i turned the volume on the headunit up and persisted even when music was playing. since then i have cleaned up the wiring and yet another change:

the hissing now increases in pitch as i accelerate, and on occasion the speakers will pop rather loudly as i shift.

any ideas on what this may be? i brought it to a local audio shop who thankfully didnt charge me for an assessment, and they said that something had caused a massive amount of damage to the amplifier which would need to be replaced or simply bypassed.

i was hoping for anyone with a second opinion to give me a clue as to what i should do?

Old 12-10-2006, 05:56 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Strange popping/ noises emitted after aftermarket headunit installation

Alternator Whine i assume...

Usually caused by a bad ground on either the deck or the amp. The amplifier (if stock) shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:58 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Strange popping/ noises emitted after aftermarket headunit installation

it could be a bad ground, try that, if the problem persists, take the amp to a shop and have em do a bench test on it for sound. if its fine, then its something in your wiring, thats getting feedback into the speakers.