Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Sub mounting. Has anyone ever.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Sub mounting. Has anyone ever.......

...taken out the factory sub and amp, built a box to fit in there and put in a sub? I love my trunk space and don't want it taken up by some gargantuan box/speaker/amp combo. I still want the utility of my trunk. So if anyone has done it, how did it turn out? Got any pics? How does it sound? How much did it cost?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Default RE: Sub mounting. Has anyone ever.......

Nope. Never been done before.

SEARCH!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

https://www.audiforums.com/m_506535/tm.htm

What you're talking about is known as an "Infinite Baffle" (IB). The design is simple by nature (a board that isolates the front of the sub from the rear), and uses the trunk's volume as the enclosure. Most of those pictures in the link above are my (2) 15"s. You'll want as much cone surface area as possible, and a driver designed for IB use. I can suggest some if you'd like to try IB.

IB subwoofer systems have the potential for outstanding sound quality. Effectively, the "box" is removed and the motor is 100% responsible for controlling the cone of the speaker. This typically increases the overall resolution (I hate to use the word - "speed"/"quickness") of the bass, but I've never had anyone complain about the low end. The lack of "boom" makes it most attractive to me. Again, driver selection is critical....

Cheers,
Matt

Old 09-01-2007, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

Aloha - I have an 02 S4 and badly want to replace those two weak subs in the rear deck. I've never installed a stereo before but have enough notes from the forums where I think I can hook up some subs and an amp. I've seen the your rear 15's forum however I'm thinking maybe two 8's and a sub. What IB's subs and amp would you recommend?

Old 09-02-2007, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

Again - for IB subwoofer systems, you'll want as much cone surface area as possible. I've managed to squeeze (2) 15"s in the rear deck of my S4 - but I've heard a B5 with a pair of 12"s - and feel it's "enough" for most sound quality listening. I'd hesitate to use anything smaller...

Anyone that thinks IB will deliver chest-pounding, window flexing bass notes -is going to be very dissappointed. IB will deliver the most transparant, musical bass you've ever heard, provided the proper subwoofers are chosen, and the install is performed correctly.

Some subwoofers that I know work well IB:

www.criticalmassaudio.com (their SS series)
www.imagedynamicsusa.com (any of their subs)
www.jbl.com (GTi series)
www.dls.se ("open air" OA series)

That should get you started...there are others, but I've got direct experience with all the above (in IB systems) and promise you - they'll deliver!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:35 PM

If you want to use a box Peerless make good subs, used in award winning systems, check out the XLS and XXLS range for cars.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:30 AM
1st Gear

Two IB 15's? Damn you must have to have a bunch of power (clean power) to make that setup even sound decent. Its funny, no one that is serious about car audio uses those setups anymore. Never heard of someone winning a ISACA sound competition with IB subs ever, well maybe back in the 80's.
That rear deck must rattle like hell. I hope you used a few boxes of Dynomat Extreme.
Good luck with that. My single JL 13W1 would blow you away.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

edited!

Last edited by wtf01s4; 03-19-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Houndz408

Two IB 15's? Damn you must have to have a bunch of power (clean power) to make that setup even sound decent. Its funny, no one that is serious about car audio uses those setups anymore. Never heard of someone winning a ISACA sound competition with IB subs ever, well maybe back in the 80's.
That rear deck must rattle like hell. I hope you used a few boxes of Dynomat Extreme.
Good luck with that. My single JL 13W1 would blow you away.
You have no clue about sound quality installs, nor IASCA. Stop dumping on the threads related to the subject.

The following current competitors regularly earn trophies at IASCA events - using IB subs...

Randy Kunin's Accord, Lee Byerly's Z24, Anthony Davis' Contour, Steve Head's Civic, Jason Winslow's Accord, Tony Pasquale's M3, Mike Reinholtz's GrandAm...

When's the last time you placed ahead of any of the above at a sound quality competition?

Oh, and it's DynAmat

Old 11-17-2007, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wtf01s4

you are a ******.
Who is??? Why?

Quick Reply: Sub mounting. Has anyone ever.......