Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Voltage drop - please help

Old 05-28-2018, 12:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Voltage drop - please help

2000 A4 1.8t quattro
The other day while it was raining hard and driving down the street the hazard lights started flashing for no reason and the locks started unlocking and locking. I found the E-brake gasket (between the motor and interior compartments) was ripped. I ordered a new one and replaced the battery while I was waiting. I didn't notice any water in the passenger compartment or the floor board.

But after the battery change out as soon as I turn the ignition to the #2 position the voltage on the battery drops to 10 volts. So if I try to crank it the starter doesn't turn over the motor and I just get a "click, click, click" (which I would expect) from the starter area.

Could a bad comfort control module cause this? How do I test it?

Old 05-28-2018, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Forgot to mention the the starter was replaced about a year ago and has shown no signs of failure.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE.......
I didn't find any module in the floor board under the carpet so I assume I don't have a comfort control module.
However I did locate the Central locking module in the door and unplugged it but as soon as I put the positive battery terminal on the new battery it drops to 10 volts still.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!!!!

Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

My A4, everything electrical stopped working. After a while of bashing things, it started up again.
Then a few days later it did it again & nothing fixed it. So i decided to take one battery lead off, wait & put it back on.
Id also checked that there was power in the battery with my jumper leads( it was midnight in a supermarket carpark) & there was, so i connected to the Positive + & touched the aluminium intake manifold & got no sparks.
So i connected to the Negative - & touched the intake manifold with the other end & the lights etc came on.
i started the car, took the jumpers off & drove home, turned it off & on & theres no lights again.
So the next day i checked where the Earth cables connected to the chassis.
and its a pretty crappy connection...
Just a small bolt on the end of the lead onto a painted surface. Duh.

i undid that bolt, scratched the paint off, dabbed some electrical contact gell on it, filed both surfaces of the crimped earth leads connection clean, more contact gell & i used a bigger flanged bolt with serations under it to connect it back up. A spring washer would do the job too.

Im going to see if i can replace the earth lead with a continous one from Battery to Engine & side tab for chassis.
Signs i could have seen ( since theres no volt meter on this car ) flickering interior lights while engine running & staticy wirring from the speakers.

Last edited by marteA4; 05-15-2019 at 09:50 AM.