Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Non-OEM parts ok for collision repair/Low estimate from adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! Non-OEM parts ok for collision repair?

My 2010 A4 Avant was nailed on the left side by some drunk person while parked, and has severe damage to the left rear wheel and quarter panel. Photos attached. I am concerned because my insurance adjuster has estimated repair at around $6000, and this looks like a much more expensive repair to me. Shop says my insurance company (Farmer's) has the right to use non-OEM parts as stated in my contract with them. I looked at State of California law regarding insurance repair, and they are indeed allowed to use non-OEM parts, but it specifies:

"No insurer shall require the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts in the repair of an automobile unless...the parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance."

So, should I risk trusting the shop, provided they prove that they're using decent parts, or put my foot down and try to have it sent to an AudiUSA authorized shop? The car is at Caliber Collision right now. Anyone have a good experience with non-OEM repairs?

Many thanks to anyone who has input for me on this.

Attached Thumbnails Non-OEM parts ok for collision repair/Low estimate from adjuster-img_5403.jpg   Non-OEM parts ok for collision repair/Low estimate from adjuster-img_5389.jpg  

Last edited by AvantNoob; 06-18-2015 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Unclear title
Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

The vehicle is probably repaired by now....sorry for the tardy reply. My insurance (Nationwide) will use OEM parts, but may not pay 100% on them. If my vehicle was damaged that badly, I'd insist on Audi ONLY OEM parts even if it meant I'd have to co-pay the price.