Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Painted my grilles..what d'you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Painted my grilles..what d'you think?

Hey guys, just got done painting my front lower grilles on my C5 A6. Went with Metallic Clear (reminds me of the Matte Aluminum mirrors on the RS6). First pic is of the grilles with the chrome grille kit and fog light surrounds on. My mirrors will be next ) But let me know what you think / any ideas? I am sort of stuck in between painting the upper grille the same color or not...if I do, should I leave the chrome surround, chrome, or paint that body color/same color as grilles, what are your thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Painted my grilles..what d'you think?-04-02-09-front-factgrill.jpg   Painted my grilles..what d'you think?-metallic-grilles-06-10-09.jpg  
Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

Will post more/better pics on a sunnier day - it just started raining when I took that one

Old 06-13-2009, 08:37 PM

I like it!!! Nice job..

Old 06-20-2009, 01:55 AM
2nd Gear

It looks good, 100% better than the chrome fog kit haha. I would definatley consider painting the grille, and the chrome ring trim ring would probably have to go. I think the "aluminum" and chrome would clash and look funny together. It would either have to be the aluminum color or the color of the car, and then you have to decide what to do with the chrome audi rings.

Just an idea, it might look cheesy, or cheap, but paint the top grille "aluminum" and the chrome trim, and the audi rings the color of the car. (or you could paint the rings aluminum also.) and consider clear corners!

good luck, i'm interested in what you decided, and with the mirrors done, it'll all look great.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:31 AM
2nd Gear

i tried to play with it a little in paintshop, but paint sucks, maybe someone who is good at photoshop can test something cool out for you before you do it

Old 06-20-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

jm, I was actually thinking the same thing...painting the chrome of the upper grill body color and the audi rings the aluminum also - however, I do love the chrome being chrome lol esp since the door handles, roof trim, etc are chrome I have thought about photoshopping some things but just haven't had the time yet. If someone else has the time to help me out and give me a couple photo cropped ideas - I'd really appreciate that. If not, I'll post some when I get the time to sit down and mess around with PS. But are you definately saying don't leave it how it is, JM? Some friends told me to leave the upper grille alone - they like it as it is - so I'm stuck lol

Old 06-21-2009, 12:15 AM
2nd Gear

you could probably get away with just painting the top and leaving the chrome, chrome.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

Well guys, here is what I ended up doing -
I liked the metallic clear look, reminding me of the brushed aluminum look of the RS6, however it was clashing with the chrome of the factory grille...sooo, I took the lower grilles back off, painted them chrome, and put the all-chrome badgeless grille back on. She is looking MEAN right now

Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
4th Gear

lemme know how painting your mirrors goes and post up some pics. would be intrested to see how it goes.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

As requested - pics of my car with chrome mirrors

Last edited by 01A6Turbo; 06-30-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Painted my grilles..what d'you think?