Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

What headlight would be best for a silver A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 AM
1st Gear
Default What headlight would be best for a silver A4

I want to buy a pair of headlights for my 98 Silver A4. There are alot of different options on Ebay, some with black inside them and some all clear. I want it to look clean and not cheap. Any help would be great.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: What headlight would be best for a silver A4

valeo E-codes. look nice and classy. halos are for bmw's and i would take a lot of precaution if buying of ebay

Old 07-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Administrator

If you're looking strictly at the difference between black interior and clear/chrome interior, from what I've seen of them installed on silver cars, the black housings look kind of cheesy. On a black car they'd look great, but on silver, IMO, stick with the chrome housings.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 PM

jeremy,
did you mount your HIDs on your own? and if you did how did u get your original lights off?
i have an A4 2.8 1997 Thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator

I did mount my HIDs myself, but my kit is built by Pilot, not VVME, and the ballasts came with mounting brackets, so I just mounted them inside the engine bay. My headlights should arrive any day now (finally ordered a week ago), and when they come in, I'm going to move the ballasts to the mounting points on the bottom of the headlight housings.

As for removing the OEM lights, the corner lights come off first (there's a small white plastic slide lever on the back of them - you push that to the side to disengage the lock, and then they slide straight forward and off the car). After that, there are three torx bolts that mount the lights. Some of the DIY procedures on here say that the bumper has to come off to get to the lowest one, but others have said this isn't the case. The following is copied from a tech article on AudiWorld.com and should guide you through the removal of your OEM lights:

Removal of Stock Headlight and Bulbs (NOTE: Removal of the passenger side headlamp unit can be made easier by removing the air duct from the grill and engine.) [ol][*]Using the Hex screw driver, remove the three bolts that secure the headlight to the car.[*]Gently slide the headlight unit forward from the nose of the car until enough rooms exists behind the light so the harness can be removed.[*]Remove the headlight harness by pressing the metal ring at the base of the harness and then sliding the harness straight back from the light.[*]Remove the light and place it on a protected surface (i.e. a towel).[*]Open each of the wire clips that secure the light bulbs within the unit.[*]Carefully remove each bulb...[/ol]When you're reading this and looking at the car, it'll all fall into place for you. With regard to the new lights, I was told that they do have a ballast holder area on the bottom of the casings. You may be able to slide the ballasts in, or you may have to drill and screw them into place. Whichever, it's worth it to keep the underhood area neat and clutter-free.