General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

And *POP* there was no power

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 AM
1st Gear
Default And *POP* there was no power - Fixed - And valuable lessons learnt

++FIXED++

Lesson 1: Calm down, walk away from the problem and have a cuppa, before attempting inspection
Lesson 2: Check ALL the hoses at connection point, not from above, give it a tug and think "that's okay..."
Lesson 3: While doing 1, scroll through lots of pages on here and the chance are you will find a VERY similar problem: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...l-help-172662/

I was driving my daughter to hospital this morning, in the middle of a bad asthma attack (seriously) and was giving the car a little more beans than I usually do. When I came off the sliproad onto the motorway I heard a "popping" noise (like a hose coming loose under pressure) and the car lost power, it was still going but it was choking like it was out of petrol.

I nursed it home and noticed the big problem came within turbo range - my pressure gauge shows the turbo is still spooling - but it appears the engine isn't getting any air. There's also a blowing/whistling noise like air is escaping.

I've checked all the hoses and can't find any leaks and the clips are all still tight.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I should be looking for? Thanks in advance!

1998 Audi A4 1.8T B5 4WD
Stage 1 tuning chip w/sports exhaust and cat

Last edited by Paul Aston; 12-17-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Fixed