General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

00 a4 1.8q will not turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 AM
1st Gear
Default 00 a4 1.8q will not turn off?

I am tired of searching and cannot figure it out. If someone has a few minutes and some insight that would be phenomenal.
This is what I have:
I went to walk the dog this morning and the hazard lights were flashing. I grabbed my key and went out to check on it. To my dismay, the entire interior was on; the dash and full instrument panel was on. As if the key was in the on position.

Stumped, I put the key in and tried a few cycles of off/ on and it remained the same. I tried starting the car and it started, but remained the same. Now, it would not turn off!
I then cycled the key a few more times and the damn car was still running with no key! I tried locking the doors, the e brake, the clutch and nothing. Finally, I depressed the clutch and attempted to shift the gears and it shut everything off. I locked the doors and am now scratching my head. My wife said this happened to her a few weeks ago when arriving at work the car would not shut off.

If anyone could help I would certainly appreciate it.
The only CEL is for the secondary injection pump loss of vacuum
or something like that.

Thank you in advance!