General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 A4 Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Question 01 A4 Electrical Problem?

Hi all... I'm new, and need some help with my A4

A few days ago I started having what seemed to be an electrical problem. I got into my car in the AM as I always do, and started it. Just as it started the drivers side front window and the passenger rear window rolled down. All on their own. I assumed I had hit the buttons with my elbow, so I rolled them up (with no problems) and proceeded out my driveway, I hadn't gotten 2 feet before they rolled down again, and it definitely was not my elbow this time. I rolled them up, kept driving, and it happened again. This continued for about 10 times. Finally I pulled over, shut her off, and gave it a few minutes. Turned back on, and voila! no issues.

So while that was a little odd I didn't notice anything for two days. Then a couple days after that I was driving and traffic came to a sudden stop. I braked hard, and both the windows went down again. Seemingly from power diversion to brakes or something? Bazaar. Rolled 'em and had no problems until yesterday when JUST the rear passenger window went down at start up(drivers side front okay.)

Since then my check engine light has come on, and I have not gotten the codes for it yet, but I plan to. Has anyone experienced any issues like this? Would this be an electrical problem?

I have a really bad feeling this is going to be an expensive problem to fix!

Thanks much!

Sonia

2001 A4
2.8 Quattro

Old 11-08-2008, 10:14 AM
4th Gear

Spray all the window switches with RadioShack Contact Cleaner.