General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 Audi A4 2.8l. Advise on where to start repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 AM
1st Gear
Default 01 Audi A4 2.8l. Advise on where to start repairs

Hi guys, new to the forum. Just bought an audi A4 2.8l. 170k on body 85k on motor. Got it pretty cheap as it needs pads rotors all around. Body and interior are in really nice condition and all the electronics work minus the flaky info panel. Already have couple places bookmarked for future rebuild.

Long story short. Everything good on car before I drive it home. Idles great. One of the valve cover gaskets just replaces by a mechanic up road from guy selling car. Even have old one to show. Now the guy I bought it from seemed pretty sincere in everything he knew wrong with car. Pointed out every little thing he thought was wrong. He acquired car but never ran it.

Drove it home last night and minus the terrible rotors and pads. I mean terrible! The engine and tranny were very smooth, shifts great. Lots of power (fast to me). First car I have bought myself in over 10 years. Work construction so always in my truck. Anyway. Have owned VWs and one BMW years ago. Love the German autos.

So I get it home and notice it's idling rough and smells like oil burning. I have done a lot of reading in last couple days so I kinds have an idea VCGS or something. Get into garage and both VCGs leaking to where it was getting into spark plug holes and building up a little on top where cover slants back and meets head. Oil level in car was a little over the higher of the two plastic pieces on end of dipstick. Not sure how much over that would be. Crank case vent hose (more reading I did today) is pretty mangled up. Oil coming up into that some.spark plugs on driver side are dry and black (sooty maybe) other side look fine. Oil on the threads of both. Also pulled timing cover back a little and see belt is starting to cracking a little. After reading I figured I would be doing that anyway. Pretty confident with the write ups I have found on that job I should be able to do it. Will try to load pics tomorrow. Right now not cooperating.

So question is...does this sound like I should be replacing PCV system, new VCGs with tensioner seals and timing belt kit? Or could there be a bigger problem I should look into before starting to order the parts? Car is in good condition, except brakes it drove great, and got it cheap so do not mind putting a little into it. I have done a lot of reading trying not to come on here and be too noobish. Just curious what some of you experienced guus may think of the problems. Think the dry black plugs had me worried the most. Hoping it just has something to do with oil getting in. Oh...Tail pipe on car is not all black like it's burning anything either, nor is the oil milky (if than info helps at all). Will appreciate any input. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:02 AM
2nd Gear

It does sound like the oil leaks are causing most of the running issues as with the PCV. The leaking VCG's could just be the seals. You can get get a complete valve cover seal kit that comes with VCG seals and chain pads from Blauparts. I just picked up a set for the 4.2 in my A8 as the passenger side VCG is leaking a little from the seal.

Getting too much oil vapor in the intake will start to foul the plugs causing the rough running. You're idea of replacing the PCV and Timing Belt along with new seals for the valve covers and VCG's sounds like an excellent plan of action.

The rotors should get better once you get the rust worn off them from driving it a little once you get it going again.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Dave, I have this thread in the A4 B5 section now as I thought that may be better to have it. Posted some pics up there too. I am going to start ordering up the parts today. PCV lines with pump, VCGs and T belt kit. As for the brakes....rotors are scored up pretty bad and pulsate like they are warped. Calipers look like they need some love too. Car has been sitting for a few months. Will regrease slides and make sure everything is moving freely.