General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'02 A4 1.8T Trip... Turbo lag or Trans slip?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:54 AM
1st Gear
Default '02 A4 1.8T Trip... Turbo lag or Trans slip?

I bought an '02 A4 1.8t auto Triptronic with 142k on it form the original owner that was well maintained with updates and timing belt replaced and all that goes with it at 90k. It's like new inside, everything works fine except the fuel gauge always showing passed full. However there are 2 things that concern me. There's an exhaust smell in the cab when running the A/C so I have to hit the recirculate button to kill the smell, it's not overwhelming but it's there. Also, right when I get out of the car after parking the exhaust smell is strongest at the middle of the car. I have looked under the hood for a manifold leak can't see or smell anything with the car revving. Can it be the CAT converter?

The other thing is there is a noticeable delay on acceleration from a stop. What it does is from a stop if I get on the gas normal, NOT romping it there's a delay, like about a 1 second delay before the car gets going, after that it pulls strong every gear. I tried using Trip and it's the same thing. Now I figured this was the turbo lag that comes with the territory. Well, yesterday I had to hit the gas hard to get out of a parking lot and it was like it was in neutral or I was slipping the clutch. It made the situation a close call, LOL. It felt like 1st gear was slipping as it took longer to get the car going than if I were just lightly hitting the gas. All other gears shift fine, No noises or clanking when this happens but sometimes, only sometimes it will take off from a stop fine with minimal delay.

This is my 1st turbo ride and i'm aware of the maintenance involved with it and i'm ok with that. I've ridden/owned turbo and SC 1.5L and 1.8L jetski's rated 260+ HP and yes there's a big difference in acceleration from the Turbo vs SC. I'm mechanically inclined to a degree that helps me save tons of money from stealerships.

So my question is, This delay, could it be from a clogged CAT or boost leak and that is also the smell I get when under a load? Or could I be slowly losing 1st gear? The turbo was never replaced or serviced he said so could that be the issue? Do you even service a turbo or just replace it? I've rebuilt many centrifugal SC's but never messed with turbos.

It's been averaging 26-27mpg and getting about 380-400 miles a tank on 91 pump gas if that means anything.

Sorry for my 1st post being so long but I figured i'd try to spell it out in detail.
Thanks!
Jim