General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

02 a4 b6 1.8t FWD sudden power loss, needs major work, advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:36 AM
1st Gear
Default 02 a4 b6 1.8t FWD sudden power loss, needs major work, advice please

I've done some reading but still have some questions and big decisions to make with my 2002 a4 1.8t b6, I am the second owner and bought the car with 81k miles about a year ago, in the last year i've put about 7k miles on the car. It's still a low mileage car that I absolutely love to drive, heres the problem(s).

I learned during the inspection (after purchase from first original owner) that the car was in great shape, the timing belt and pump had been done already, and everything was in fantastic shape... except the clutch had been worn out and I was told would need replacement very soon. The previous owner wore out a clutch in 80k miles.... this is unbelievable to me. I get well over 150k miles and am still not having to even think about replacing a clutch. The clutch has been working for me so far no slipping yet. The inspection showed the car had some unknown origin chinese aftermarket ko3 bolt on that I was told had cracks in it but was working. They fixed a vacuum leak modified my factory chip for tuning and it gave me a noticeable improvement.

The car was recently involved in a bad slow mph collision with an object not another vehicle. The car was declared a total loss as the shop wanted 7k+ to repair the body. I need a new driver rear quarter panel exterior and interior component, rear bumper, a new wheel and the front bumper can use replacing as well. I have a connection to get these parts to provide to a body shop and I can get all of the above body components for about $1500 ready to be painted and thrown on.

I recently had the car battery die (my own fault) and it remained dead for 3 days. AAA came and jumped it however it took quite a bit of cranking for 30-40 second periods with breaks in between but a whlie to finally get it running. I drove the car for 40 minutes came home parked it for 20. Started, drove off. Car drove perfectly fine until 30 minutes into the drive as I'm downshifting into first and turning a corner and sudden loss of power engine dies lights die so I steer it to the curb. Jumping the car did not work the second go around. Right before or maybe it was during the shut down i noticed on my panel a red battery light come on. The car tries to start but simply wont and the battery is only 6 months old.

I noticed before all this my dash lights were appearing dimmer than usual, my headlights went dim for a few days before recovering, cigarette lighter stopped working then started again, maybe these issues are unrelated to my current.

The car is now at a specialty german shop (mechanic) waiting for a full inspection tomorrow morning. Based on what I've said about the previous owner, the odd fact that there is a non factory ko3 no better if not worse than the stock one on the car, the clutch being worn down in 80k, someone was abusing the car pretty hard. What specifically should I ask the mechanic to look for if anything special?

Second, I want to APR chip my car and move up to a ko4 while its in the shop so the guy can take care of the install. APR wants about 2400 from me.

I have a second aftermarket guy at a company FTG motorsports in Texas, who has thrown together a package that will supposedly bring me to about 275 hp i've been told and a bit of added torque. His package includes more than apr, things like an intercooler, downpipe, 550cc injectors, he has flash software for me to flash on my stock chip, and he wants about $1600.

Do I need a performance clutch if I go with either of these companies who make similar claims as to performance increases? If so what is recommended because I want that done now also.

Is this realistic??? Has anyone heard of FTG and is APR worth all the extra cash and if so why? APR parts will end up costing me about 3500 when I try and match it to be similar to FTG motorsports kit that is half the price.

What do you guys recommend if I'm looking for ~80hp? Any ideas as to why I have a non factory turbo that cam eoff ebay for a couple hundred on an audi with no accident history and onnly 80k miles? How do you wear out a clutch in 80k?

Any ideas as to what is going on with my car not starting and not taking a jump? I plan on keeping the car and driving it until it stops so I'll be fixing the body damage afterwards.

Any advice to someone like me for example a less expensive way to get what i'm looking for out of the car? If I want to run a powerful ko415 what are absolute musts as to what I must include in the modifications and parts ill need to add to the car?

All advice recommended. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:24 AM
2nd Gear

Your electrical problems are almost certainly due to the accident. It sounds to me like a ground (or several grounds) and/or some connectors have been loosened by the impact. Also check all the fuses and relays to make sure they're seated in their sockets.

As for the aftermarket chipping, I can't offer any recommendations there. I've just not been exposed enough to that area.