General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

02 audi a4 1.8 hardly moves

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:57 PM
1st Gear
Default 02 audi a4 1.8 hardly moves

So I purchased an 02 audi a4 from insurance auction that needed a bit of painting and odds and ends. Car had a miss at first due to old gas. Added a bit of sea foam and it runs like a top. Also replaced timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. It ran great after that and drove great. Had to remove the whole front end for all that. When I reassembled the front end I noticed the line for the trans cooler leaking a bit. Didn't run it after that until I replaced oring. It quit leaking. Didn't start it for about a year until someone was interested in buying it. Started it and drove it around the driveway to clean it. I let it sit and run for a bit while I was cleaning it then when I went to put it in drive it acted like it was in neutral. Pressed the gas a little bit and it jerked a bit and moved about a foot then acted like it was in neutral again. It keeps doing this. Does fine in reverse though. Thought it was low on fluid so I got the trans temp up a bit and pulled the fill plug on bottom of pan. Immediately trans fluid poured out. Filled it up a bit to fill what poured out. DO you guys think the trans is toast? Fluid was kinda red but not dark and didn't smell burnt. Trans is automatic

Old 02-27-2017, 10:24 AM
2nd Gear

When you refilled the trans fluid, the engine needs to be running and cycled through all the gears when refilling. All the while running the fluid needs to be filled to the point to where it is starting run out of the fill port. Once it's really full, put the plug in and THEN turn it off. If your turn the car off while the fill plug is open, a LOT of fluid will drain out. Filling the fluid in this manner insures that the proper fluid level in the pan is maintained while running to prevent introducing air into the system. If you do not have the pan full when running, you will not have enough fluid in the pan to make the trans engage.