General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

The #1 upgrade on ANY car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
1st Gear
Default The #1 upgrade on ANY car!

Story: I recently got a misfire code in cylinder 2 on my Audi A4 Quattro 2.8l Avant Sport Automatic and I have been looking at the Pulstar Pulse Plugs for a while. I decided to go for them, I payed the 150 bucks plus shipping and received them in 5 days. Then it took me around 20 minutes to replace every plug in my car. Then I started my car, it wouldn't start for a few seconds. I tried again and it roared to life. I could barely see or hear a difference. It all worked fine like usual. But when I looked at my RPM meter, the RPM's jumped a little bit, just slightly, the manual that came with the plug warned though that you car can perform weird before the first tank of gas is out, That was it for the weird though. When I started driving though, I was amazed. My car responsed quickly to just a tap on the gas. I really could feel the added power. The engine became much more smoother, but that was just the start. My Dad drove the car afterwards, and I haven't told him about the new plugs, he thought that something happened to it, he drives a lot of vehicles but he stopped at the first gas station to check what was up, and called me. Now the first and second tank of gas have been run though, and I am a quarter way through the 3rd, I am gonna stop counting after this, and I went to a different city on Friday, a distance of ~170 miles in one direction, and drove back and I was totally AMAZED. I usually drive there and back and I have just enough gas to get to the gas station by my house, but this time, the light hasn't even turned on! I traveled about the same distance as usual, using less gas and having more power. I recommend these things to ANYONE, that needs a short upgrade to get better gas mileage.

The Installation: It took me about 20 minutes for the whole installation, the hardest part was unscrewing the old plugs. The only difference is that you aren't supposed to use a regular spark plug tool to install them for a few reasons. 1. The top of the plug is thinner, therefore the tool wont hold it. 2. Because the top is thinner, a change in the degree of the tool during installation may snap the top off. 3. You are supposed to apply silicone on top of the plug for a better connection, which would be rubbed off by the rubber/foam in the tool. The rest is the same. There are also multiple warnings not to drop the plugs as the inside circuit maybe broken. Which I read right before dropping a plug, good thing it started spinning when it hit the ground, meaning most of the impact force was turned into rotational energy, so it should be O.K. The power, still is immence. Installation is a no biggie, anyone can do it with the right tools.

www.pulstarplug.com/
www.pulstarpulseplug.com/

I am Sorry if this feels/sounds like an advertisement, but seriously, these should be the first upgrade you ever do on your car!
Pardon my english, I have only lived in the USA for 6 years, therefore I may have said something wrong. I still am Amazed at how great these are.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Default RE: The #1 upgrade on ANY car!

Sounds like you got some incentive with Pulstar plugs.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

I didn't. I know I sound like it though.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
3rd Gear

"Pulse plugs incorporate a pulse circuit, which stores incoming electrical energy from the ignition system and releases the stored energy in a powerful pulse of power. Instead of 50 watts of peak power typical of all spark plugs, pulse plugs deliver up to 10 times more peak power. It takes electrical power to light fuel. The more power (watts) the better. Nothing can compete with Pulstarâ„¢."
heres the problem i have with the logic of these plugs- there is NOT a constant power supply to your spark plugs. the coil packs only send power to the spark plug when it requires it to spark. the entire amount of energy sent is used up in the spark. there is no additional power to be stored in the pulse circuit. if the pulse circuit was storing charge for the next spark it would be at the expense of voltage of the previous spark.

you cannot make 150 watts of power from 50 watts. using the same logic you cannot make 3 gallons of gas from 1 gallon.

these pulse plugs are just like adding a coil pack after your coil packs which doesnt make a whole lot of sense. in order to get a hotter spark you need to have more energy, which has to come from somewhere, and the plug itself does not make electricity, therefor the only way to get more power is to upgrade your coil packs/ ignition control.

you can increase the voltage and get a longer spark at the cost of amperage. you can increase the amperage at the cost of decreased voltage. its simple electrical engineering.

that being said i would love for someone to do some reliable testing (read: someone with more then 10 posts) i would be extremely surprised if the difference was that noticeable, if you even saw anything at all.