General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 audi 90 cs. possibly my next car. help

Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 AM
1st Gear
Question 1994 audi 90 cs. possibly my next car. help

hey i might be purchasing a 1994 audi 90 cs here within a week, but i have a couple questions before i purchase the car. i havent gone and looked at it yet, but i have done a lot of talking to the owner and have seen many pictures of it. its a 5 speed manual, the interior is great (minus one little tear on the drivers side seat) and theres really nothing wrong with the exterior, but (here's where you guys come in) the front right CV joint and the windshield need to be replaced. For the cv joint i've heard everything from 60$-900$, i would like to hear from owners and people with experience with this stuff how much it will actually run me. also about how much for the windshield?
he also mentioned that the climate control isnt functioning right now, but that doesnt seem like a huge issue to me. I dont really need the climate control, or am i simply being optimistic? is there usually more issues that follow a broken climate control?

he is selling it to me for 1200, but i feel confident i can get it for 1000, and for a price like that, it seems like a good deal. but if the costs of these parts and labor are going to break my bank, i'll just put it behind me and keep hunting craigslist for another vehicle.

I've heard these cars last roughly 300,000 miles, therefore the 160,000 miles doesnt sound so bad at all.

please, any help is greatly appreciated

Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

I don't know the specifics of this car, but I have had bad climate controls in 3 or 4 other cars. The problem I found was they blew hot air in the summer. which sucked. stuck on heat in the winter is doable. not in the summer though. check it out and make sure the normal outside air vent bypasses the heater core. some VWs control the temperature of the air by controlling the flow of hot water through the heater core. MK1 anyway. also, if the diverter door doesn't work or has holes in it you won't have heat, so check that too. MK1 & MK2 VWs (don't know about newer ones) have a foam material that covers the diverter door. that foam degrades and falls off leaving a metal plate with giant holes in it so it's impossible to get air to go to the heater core. I glued thin cardboard on mine to fix it...

Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

Thank you,
is it possible just to remove the spark plug for the climate control or something therefore it blows no air at all, or allow me to just manually adjust my AC? I've never dealt with faulty climate controls before, sorry haha.