General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 ADVICE timing, blinker and tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 PM
1st Gear
Default 1999 ADVICE timing, blinker and tranny fluid

Timing TALK and Blinker difficulties ( added tranny fluid question)

Hey All,
Newer post'er here. I am open to all thoughts.

situation: New car to me. Fixing it from a broken status.

Fixes in progress: bad timing tension-er(s) in the heads.

repair process: salvage yard heads. new head gaskets and cam seals.

ok.. the questions and supporting info as I notice it.

1. My Hazards work.. ( ie Flash)... my blinkers do not ( activated from the stalk)

Thoughts, how to fix? things to expect.

when I partially extract ( turn left 1/4 turn) the Tabbed bulb holder... the light will go "ON"... but not flash! ( to confirm, the same bulb flashes with the hazard switch activated not the STALK)

2. HOW tender/ touchy is the timing on an Audi... '99 2.8

with NO cam locking tool... I and an OVER QUALIFIED assistant... timed the car by hand... here is HOW and how far i KNOW i am off.

Step one. position the Crank with #3 at top dead center ( with the head removed)... NOTE.. the crank marks aligned with the plastic crank shield bolted on and the comparison done later.

step two... CAM pulleys loose but ON... Assemble the Belt and tensioners... around the correct pulleys... pre-tensioned and Hydraulic tensioner Loosed from a pinned/ locked position. SO... here is the FUN part and I know i am off by a fraction...

Being the thinkers we ARE... we knew we had no CAM tool and would like to emulate the cam alignment tool. We inserted into the TWO holes ( LARGE and SMALL) two different sized allen tools.

In the heat of the moment, we forgot that the holes sizes were slightly different and the straight edge on TOP of the FOUR Aligning HEX(s) would perfectly align the cams.... WE were wrong... but as much as ONE half of ONE millimeter ON each CAM PULLEY...

THOUGHTS... Its not perfect... but it truly is close... I am not truly smart enough to com up with the correct calculation of the amount of degrees the CAM(s) are miss aligned.. I can describe it... as i understand it...

the hexs were inserted about 1.5 inches from center on the pulley and the two hex sixes inserted were 5 and 6 mm respectively. Splitting the difference in two.. makes the ONE HALF MM of MISS ALIGNMENT per PULLEY. ( the center of the holes should have been aligned with each other... in stead LIKE A GOOF..... I ALIGNED THE TOP OF THE HOLES, in perfect harmony with all four holes.

NOW.. i know i could measure in an imaginary extended line from the Base hex alignment to the half MM of "cant" measure out at the RIM of the pulley and taking the known circumference of the pulley...

NOW dividing the small fraction by the bigger circumference would give me a known difference of the MISS ALIGNMENT. small right? ! lol

So is the twist on a Distributor cap of an old CHEVY 350/ ford 351.. etc.. to "hand time" or put an engine out of timing....

SO... all that BUll Spit and set up to fling the question/ statement...
My car has three symptoms.. i would like to show/ talk about.

1. Power = weak
2. Starts AWESOME... Rer, reer, Frooom !!!
b. with NO load... engine sounds great... snappy in the driveway.

3. ON shut down... the motor stops more quickly than my own past experiences with most cars and motors.

example.. most cars will slow them selves in a very standard shutdown time of about 1 to 1.5 seconds.. with a nice some put put putttttt ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

not this silly little FART... ITs QUICK...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ !!!!!!!!!!! DONE

Thoughts!?????

I dont like it, but i am ready to buy the cam and crank tool to ensure i have perfect-true timing to manufacture specifications NOT.. just "really close" lol

Thanks for your time ~ ALL.

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSES.

ok, an amendment to the initial post...

Are there alternatives to the Audi Tranny fluid...

5 years ago i owned a 1992 100 and unknowingly exchanged the tranny fluid for American versioned tranny fluid...
unknowingly = not realizing there is a very specific German fluid.

the fluid and tranny had no issues, in fact the slipping/ odd shifting i thought i was experiencing went away. !!!! ( the car is currently still in use by a nephew)

So... can i still do such a maneuver? with a Newer( 1999 A6)?? Has anyone else done it accidentally or on purpose?
What were the results?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:34 AM
1st Gear

Hi guesta,

I hope you fixed your car. I recently had the same problem with the blinkers and I have fixed it after replacing the hazard relay switch (it costs around 40 Euro).

This specific thread discusses this: 02 allroad turn signal relay - Audi Forums

Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

I just did the timing belt stuff. buy the timing bar and the gizzy bolt that holds the crank in place. That cam shaft does not want to stay in place as you tighten stuff up.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

uh. i'd stick to the german tranny fluid. It is definitely different than us red stuff. more like fine machine oil. no sense blowing up a perfectly expensive tranny fluid. I found it for $ 18 bucks a quart. it only holds 9 quarts...whats the big deal? LOL