General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2.7 C5 Timing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 AM
1st Gear
Default 2.7 C5 Timing Issue

I recently did a complete timing set and valve cover gaskets. Everything went well and the car ran great after for a few thousand miles. The low oil light was coming on intermittently I checked the oil it was fine. I changed the oil level/temperature sensor with a generic one it would not read the temperature but the light stop going off. I didn't like the not being able to read the oil temperature so I put the old one back in temporally until the next oil change. The low oil light would come on once in a while when it was really hot outside when at an idle but not always. I was driving the other day and the car lost power on an on ramp during acceleration. I hooked the computer to the car and the codes were for cam shaft sensor and missing on multiple cylinders 1, 2, and 3. I assumed I did something wrong with the timing so I took the covers off put the lock bar back on the cam gears and the timing mark on the crank were lined up. So it was all good there and assumed the sensor(s) went bad so I changed both sensors and the car is still throwing codes and barely running. Also the car has had a sound that sounded like a tapping lifter from that side which has been making that sound for a while prior to the work I did. My next thought is that a timing chain tensioner has failed on the side that is making the tapping sound and has possibly jumped a tooth between the one of the intake and exhaust cams. Some might think it may have been an oil starvation issue because of the oil light. I doubt it because if it were burnt rings causing the misfires the car would have been smoking but has never smoked and when I was turning the motor to check the timing I felt normal compression on that side. Does anybody have any ideas on this issue. This is a bel motor so no ignition control modules.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

All of these issues sound familar. Have you contacted Audi? I think they should be contacted. I am writing them now.