General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2.7t with hot oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7t with hot oil

Hello everyone! I've been lurking these forums while I was searching for my first set of rings and finally got them a few weeks ago.

I have a 2001 Audi Allroad which is having some issues with the oil reaching abnormally high temperatures (275+) after 20 mins or so of driving. The car almost reached 300 while driving to and from the airport one day (45 mins each way). I just changed the oil to make sure it wasn't that. It still reached just above 250 on my drive today which was about 15mins. The coolant temperature doesn't go above half, it's just the oil temp. The engine does feel abnormally hot after driving for a long period of time, so I don't think it's giving me an incorrect temp reading.

During the drive to the airport my oil min light came on. I checked the oil and it was full. The light went off the next afternoon, but I did make sure I changed the oil and filled it to the proper level anyway. Haven't had any oil pressure warnings yet.

Any suggestions on possible culprits? I love this car so far minus this one issue. TIA!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Former Sponsor

What weight oil did you put into the car?

http://www.justanswer.com/audi/5cpb4...0-regular.html

Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

I put in Mobil 0w-40.