General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2.8 30v terrible oil leaks.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 PM
SSn
1st Gear
Default 2.8 30v terrible oil leaks.

Hi all,
I've just finished another major repair on my 98 A6 2.8 30v. Going to start the car tomorrow morning, but suspect that I have not fixed the problem.

Ever sinse I purchased it few month ago, I had bad oil leak. Oil was dripping everywhere from the bottom,.

I started by replacing front oil seals, and valve cover gaskets. - did not help.
I replaced oil pan gasket - no use.
I've just replaced cam tensioner gaskets and resealed top sump of the oil pan, also replaced oil cooler gasket, resealed dipstick and pressure sensor. - will find out the results tomorrow (waiting for the sealant to dry).

I have a feeling that it's not over. The deam engine seems to be leaking everywhere, and the only vise solution is to take it out and repair completely. I was looking over the car today, and noticed oil below the secondary air system valves behind the engine on both sides. That oil is leaking right onto the exhaust pipe. Valves look dry on top but oily at the bottom. Can that stuff leak oil? I understand that it collects engine vapors and might have some oil inside. It looks like a big pita to remove those valves. Can they accomulate enough oil to leak? Or it's something else nearby leaking?

I just want to get hte car ready for winter. I don't mind small oil leaks, but mine is just undriveable,.. you go fifty miles and lose quarter of oil. I really hope after today's repairs, it wont leak so much.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:46 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: 2.8 30v terrible oil leaks.

let us know how the drive goes, it sounds like you got everything down. the only advice i can give you is if you suspect the car is still leaking oil, spray degreaser over it and see where the new oil if any leaks, also are you getting bluish smoke, is the coolant a dirty color.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:18 PM
SSn
1st Gear

Drove it on the highway - it leaks, probably as bad as before. I knew it...[:@]
The coolant is fine and no blue smoke, head gasket is doing alright. Crap, it started to drip from the front right under the crank seal area. Seal was replaced so, only thing I can think about it's that part that the crank goes through... That plate that's mounted to the engine, crank seal sits in it, has a gasket... I've reed other people's topics about leaking oil, no one mentioned that place I think.

Well, I guess I have no choise but to replace that. I'll see the manual if it needs anything else removed other then the T-belt to get to it.

Crap, maybe I should just find another used engine?
My old one has 160k... It works good, drives smooth, I've just put money in it... Just leaks oil crazy =(

Old 08-25-2007, 04:50 PM
SSn
1st Gear

checked the manual, it's called crank sealing flange... That's the only place left in that area. I'll have to remove bottom oil pan again. Well, I'm ordering parts [X(]