General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 allroad 2.7T - crazy shaking steering wheel

Old 09-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Default 2002 allroad 2.7T - crazy shaking steering wheel

Recently I have noticed a shake to my steering wheel that got progressively worse in the 3 months I've owned the car. I can actually see the Recaro child set in the back shaking and if my wife has her bag on the front passenger floor, I can see it shake. I notice it most around 60MPH in a straight-line, sometimes the wheel shakes like it's coming out of my hands but other times it's less violent. If I am in a constant-radius turn (left OR right) I feel it very pronounced when I am coming back to center.

I have heard tie rods, control arm bushings, wheel balance, dented rims, wheels bearings ... I have not tried anything yet. My first attempt, when the rain stops, is to rotate my tires front-to-back.

I'm assuming the worst and thinking it has something to do with the CVs or tie rods.

Any more ideas?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear

If it is your CV's Nail it! and listen for clicking, Also check the boots for cracks, tears and leaks.

Jack up the front end and spin the tires by hand. Check the rotors and see if anything is or looks worn.

I had a wobble, steering wheel sort of jiggles left and right in a straight line. I found one of the front tires had a broken chord, Noticeable by the bumps on the side wall running from the bead to the tread. Run your hand over the tires and feel for any lumps. Like a Mammogram for tires.

I rotated my bad one to the back brought it in for an alignment and all tires road force balanced. It went away by 95%, I can feel that one tire though. It's vibrating a little in the back.

I know I need to replace my tires and it is possible that the control arm bushings are a bit worn. I think the wobble wouldn't be as bad if the control arm bushings were new and stiff. possibly the worn bushings makes them wobble over bad road and any adverse resistance.

I also notice that Mine is better when Hot, Either a very hot day or after driving 20 minutes.

Hope that helps.