General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Allroad- Warranty not being honored

Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Default 2005 Allroad- Warranty not being honored

Bought 2005 Allroad 2.7 6M, 50,500 miles; "Audi Certified". I drove 180 miles to Elk Mountain Motors (Audi/VW) to buy this car as the 6M is hard to find. Drove it home that night- no problems. The next morning (Sunday), the car was cold and misfired for 10-15 seconds then smoothed out. Next day, cold start- same thing- but this time the engine light comes on. Take it to Checker and pull the code. P0301 - "Cylinder 1 misfire". Great. Two days later take it to local Prestige Audi. They find "STI" engine coils and recommend replacement as they are "non OEM" components and a FI service.Great. I'm out over $800. Elk Mountain agreed to pay for about half of the repairs as they admitted they shouldn't have sold me a certified car with aftermarket parts. Take the car home. Next morning, cold start, same problem. Take it back to Prestige. They say it's due to "low fuel level" and possibly "bad gas". The reset the light and sent me on my way. Next day, cold start. This time, the car is hard to start- had to crank for 4-5 seconds; once started, same misfiring. Back to Prestige. Over a week later, I still do not have my car. After the first trip to Prestige, I installed a K&N panel filter. Guess what. Prestige and Audi USA are saying that they will not perform any warranty work so long as that K&N filter is in there, and that they suspect that the car had been chipped. Prestige called Elk Mountain Motors, who said that it was ME that put the aftermarket coils in there, and that they had replace #1,3,5 injectors and all spark plugs. The car otherwise runs great after it warms for 20-30 seconds, but I don't want an engine light on all the time, nor do I want a car that Audi suspects had been chipped at one point. I feel that my options are to either request that Elk Mountain Motors fix the car, accept it on return for a refund, or I'm stuck with a car that I have to pay to fix. I have consulted an attorney and he advises that EMM materially misrepresented the warranty and that they should take it back. I also found on K&N's website something about a federal law that says a car manufacturer cannot deny warranty work due to an "after market air or oil filter". I love the car- I've wanted one for a long time and used to have an S4 Avant 2.7T with Tip. I don't however want a lemon car that's going to cost me thousands in service bills over its lifetime. Given the info I've shared, can anyone- especially any lawyers!- give me any suggestions on how to deal with this? At this point Elk Mountain Motors is not returning my calls. THANK YOU for reading my woes. I'm at a loss here.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

I think you should go after the EMM. Also call Audi America to report this problem. IF your Audi is acutal an Audi CPO (certified Pre Owned), Audi America probably will go after the EMM for poor inspection performance to certify the car with after market part installed.
It is very easy to prove the car is chipped or not. Ask them to prove it.
For your car misfire problem when cold, i would bring it back and ask for better driveability technician to work on it.