General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 Audi A6 3.2 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 Audi A6 3.2 quattro

Here goes my problem I have a check engine light on when ma personal foreign mechanic puts he computer on it it's giving him timing position sensor, timing over advanced,and timing under advanced its bank 1 right side of the car if not mistaken and I also have bank 1 catalyst converter code. My mechanic says it my timing chain but when I took it to audi service they said there was nothing wrong with my timing chain when they ran the test it was the catalyst making does codes pop up. What should I do?

Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear

Double check and make sure the cam chain tensioners are not getting worn. There are plastic pads on these things that can start to crack and come loose. How did they verify that the cam chains and tensioners were good? You really have to pull the valve covers and eyeball them. My 03 D2 A8L 4.2 was throwing that code on the passenger side. The plastic pad had come off the lower side of the tensioner and was running metal to metal. Never jumped time but the tensioner could never take up the slack enough to keep the timing optimal on that side. Your engine is all chain driven so it's a whole lot different than mine. Still, if your ECU reported over and under timing advance codes, there is something going on with the chain tensionsers.

Here's a website that shows the multiple chain setup... http://auditimingchainproblem.com/

Looking at that 3.2 in the pictures makes be woosy with all those chains and guides..... Sheesh.... Not to mention you have to pull the complete engine to get to the stuff. I think I'll stick with the older stuff for now.

Last edited by dave944; 10-05-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
Double check and make sure the cam chain tensioners are not getting worn. There are plastic pads on these things that can start to crack and come loose. How did they verify that the cam chains and tensioners were good? You really have to pull the valve covers and eyeball them. My 03 D2 A8L 4.2 was throwing that code on the passenger side. The plastic pad had come off the lower side of the tensioner and was running metal to metal. Never jumped time but the tensioner could never take up the slack enough to keep the timing optimal on that side. Your engine is all chain driven so it's a whole lot different than mine. Still, if your ECU reported over and under timing advance codes, there is something going on with the chain tensionsers.

Here's a website that shows the multiple chain setup... No More Audi 3.2 timing chain problem -Waltham's service

Looking at that 3.2 in the pictures makes be woosy with all those chains and guides..... Sheesh.... Not to mention you have to pull the complete engine to get to the stuff. I think I'll stick with the older stuff for now.
the car also sometimes kicks. When I took it to Audi service department they were the ones who told me tha it was ma catalyst converter is what's making those codes come up... what do u suggest?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

The Cat Convertor will not cause the engine to throw a timing advance over/under code. I'd have the OBD codes read again by a third party. Go to AutoZone, Pepboys, or Advance Auto, they will pull those OBD codes for you for free. IF there are no codes showing anything about an timing advance over/under, the chains are probably fine. The "kick" could be a misfire caused by the timing issue if there is one.

If you do not have any timing issue codes, you might try a new set of spark plugs. The Cat Convertor could be causing the ECU to lean out that side of the engine from time to time. This can lead to a glazed spark plug or two. A glazed spark plug will produce a weak spark that can be easily extinguished by additional fuel being thrown into the cylinder as in when you press on the gas pedal. This can cause a misfire that you will interpret as a "kick"... A set of plugs is a hell of lot cheaper than a Cat Convertor. Truth be known it's just an O2 sensor on the cat convertor. There are 2 on each side. An upstream known as sensor 1, bank 1 and a downstream known as sensor 2, bank 1. Any reputable German car shop can replace these a LOT cheaper than the stealer....er....dealer.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
The Cat Convertor will not cause the engine to throw a timing advance over/under code. I'd have the OBD codes read again by a third party. Go to AutoZone, Pepboys, or Advance Auto, they will pull those OBD codes for you for free. IF there are no codes showing anything about an timing advance over/under, the chains are probably fine. The "kick" could be a misfire caused by the timing issue if there is one.

If you do not have any timing issue codes, you might try a new set of spark plugs. The Cat Convertor could be causing the ECU to lean out that side of the engine from time to time. This can lead to a glazed spark plug or two. A glazed spark plug will produce a weak spark that can be easily extinguished by additional fuel being thrown into the cylinder as in when you press on the gas pedal. This can cause a misfire that you will interpret as a "kick"... A set of plugs is a hell of lot cheaper than a Cat Convertor. Truth be known it's just an O2 sensor on the cat convertor. There are 2 on each side. An upstream known as sensor 1, bank 1 and a downstream known as sensor 2, bank 1. Any reputable German car shop can replace these a LOT cheaper than the stealer....er....dealer.

I also forgot to mention sometimes my check engine light goes away from time to time

Old 10-07-2016, 11:03 PM
2nd Gear

That is a good sign..... Any codes that are serious will not go away.