General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

3.2 V6 TT Roadster 2004 - Battery light showing on idle since garage service

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:44 PM
1st Gear
Question 3.2 V6 TT Roadster 2004 - Battery light showing on idle since garage service

Hi all
I have a 2004 Audi TT Roadster 3.2 V6. It only has 32,000 miles on it, and until its yearly garage service a few days ago, it has never missed a beat.

The day after picking it up from the garage, while i was waiting at traffic light, the battery light came on.

As I cant return to the garage until late next week, i have kept an eye on what's happening..

From start-up, everything is fine, even during idle, but after I drive for about 5 to 10 minutes & the engine has warmed up, whenever I stop at lights, junctions or in traffic, the battery light comes on. A few minutes after driving off again the light goes out. If I'm stuck in the traffic for more than a few minutes, the light comes back on and the engine revs pick up to about 1100 - 1200 rpm but the light stays on, and eventually the engine starts sounding a little uneven.

I have checked the battery (only just over a year old) its resting voltage without ignition is 12.4v. When the car is started and is idling it is 14.4v.
After turning on the AC, Heated rear screen & headlights the revs pick up and the voltage stays around the 14.4v mark still which is good.

After a 5 minute drive and then pulling over to do the same test, the results are the same, but after a minute or two idling, the battery light comes on and the battery voltage drops to 12.4v

Clearly its getting no charge at all during this time.
I can only assume that during the service, that maybe something has been disturbed on the charging circuit.

I'm hoping someone here might have a good idea of the most likely place that this might be. My problem being that I don't want to kill the battery before I can get back to the garage and kick some *** next Friday.

I have checked the battery connections and earth point in the boot, and everything looks brand new and is secure.

I have been unable to get under the car to look at the alternator, and I cant see a damn thing from on top. I know on many old cars the terminal blocks on some alternators used to get a loose connection, then get hot and melt the plug. I am unsure if this is still an issue as its been a long time since I had anything to do with motor mechanics. (I gave up after my cars got thirstier and I could no longer see daylight between all sides of the motor and the engine bay)

Can someone maybe point me to the easiest access route to where the issue might be so that I can maybe park on the edge of a high pavement and crawl underneath. Or reach blindly down a specific route and push connections etc..

Many thanks to anyone who might be able to help.. and sorry for the long post, but I figured it best to explain all at once rather than wait for the obvious questions.

Regards
Roy