General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

4.2L V8 S4 Oil....

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM
1st Gear
Default 4.2L V8 S4 Oil....

i'm pretty new to owning a car with an engine this big (4.2 V8) so im still getting used to all the maintenance differences as my last few cars have been japanese tuned cars. Anyway.....im getting my S4 in for a service next month in Germany as im based there with the Army, the guy at the Audi garage has said it will be a lot cheaper if i bring my own oil as they charge 26 Euro per litre. I know i need 5w30 fully synthetic long life. I've been to halfords and they sell their own brand of said spec oil, and its pretty much half the price of the Castrol and the Mobil1. The halfords bloke says they are the same and there isn't a difference.....does anyone know if this is true? or is there a difference that will effect the performance and life of the engine?

thanks in advance.

Matt

Old 05-30-2013, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

Differences in oil of the same viscosity are very very small. Different brands use their own proprietary additives and that's about the extent of it. That said, there is a list of oils specifically approved by Audi. See TSB link below. Chances are that the fully synthetic oils you will find at a local store will probably be on the list anyways.

I had never heard of approved oils before buying my A4, so I can't imagine how Audi/VW engines could be so different to justify requiring certain oil. I just use what is on sale.

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...e-Bulletin.pdf

Holy sh*t, 26 euros a liter!?

Last edited by cas5259; 05-30-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the help man just dont wanna **** my car up lol