General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

4.2v8 S4 briefly won't crank when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 AM
1st Gear
Default 4.2v8 S4 briefly won't crank when cold

Ok guys, I've done my search for this problem, with no luck. When starting the engine at or below aprox 40F ambient, my 2004 S4 will briefly not crank. I turn the key and nothing, keep holding the key, wait about 2 to 7 seconds and all of the sudden it starts cranking. It starts easily once it cranks, but makes me worry that some time it won't crank and leave me stranded. When the ambient temp is warm, it cranks as soon as you turn the key.
My thoughts are a faulty start solenoid or relay of some sort. Possibly the clutch switch is sticking? There is no check engine lights or any other abnormal indications, and it has always started, so I'm concerned.
Any ideas???
John

Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

We have had a cold snap here in Houston, (48F) today, My wife and I where going out to dinner tonight, went out to the garage and got in my S4, put the key into the ignition and turned it,,, and nothing. Just like before, however now there's nothing. No cranking, no noise, no nothing. The lights all work good, I believe my batterys good, but before it would crank after a few seconds, not now. Any ideas??
John

Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

I had starting problems on my 98 a4 tt when cold. I'd check your air filter and make sure it doesn't need to be changed, also new spark plugs could help if yours havn't been changed in awile. Bosch premiums would be good.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
1st Gear
Default same here

i have the same problem. If it's cold out you have to hold the key in the start position for a few seconds. I have read somewhere here to replace the battery. I'm doubltful on this answer so i'm living with it.

Would be nice to finally find an answer.
2004 s4

p.s. what year is yours?

Old 03-25-2009, 11:53 PM
2nd Gear

Could be the battery. The battery does not work as well in cold weather. How old is the battery? Check the label on the battery for the information on CCA, Cold Cranking Amps. Cold weather has a lot to do with stupid stuff like this.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

My S4 is a 2004 model. I'll check the battery this weekend for the date. The day after it wouldn't start, the temp was up to about 60F and it started right up. I'm supprised the battery would cause this, as when it starts to crank, it cranks real fast,, also the lights are all bright when the ignition and lights are on with the engine not running (of course I haven't checked the voltage output).
John

Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

This is the exact problem I'm currently having. It's about 32F here in the DC/Northern Virginia area, and my car simply won't crank. It gets to around 40F, and boom, starts right up. Hoping it's as simple as a battery change out, but I'm doubtful.

Then there's the groaning power steering once the ambient dips below 50F....

Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Alexandriarover
This is the exact problem I'm currently having. It's about 32F here in the DC/Northern Virginia area, and my car simply won't crank. It gets to around 40F, and boom, starts right up. Hoping it's as simple as a battery change out, but I'm doubtful.

Then there's the groaning power steering once the ambient dips below 50F....
I'm still having the same issue too, The car has never left me stranded however a few times I've gone out to the garage to go and it wouldn't crank. I wait for 5min and it will immediately start cranking and fires up right away. I had the battery checked, its fine. I have seen on other forums where people have changed the starter and that is the fix. I guess I'll have to do that sooner than later too. As for the power steering?? have you checked your fluid level?
Good luck

Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gofaster
I'm still having the same issue too, The car has never left me stranded however a few times I've gone out to the garage to go and it wouldn't crank. I wait for 5min and it will immediately start cranking and fires up right away. I had the battery checked, its fine. I have seen on other forums where people have changed the starter and that is the fix. I guess I'll have to do that sooner than later too. As for the power steering?? have you checked your fluid level?
Good luck
SO bizarre...put in a new battery last night. Didn't start this morning - it got down to about 21F over night. So, while waiting for a tow, I did some more research and came across another forum where a poster mentioned this approach:

"The starter does not crank the engine...I turn the key, nothing happens (other than all accessories come on). If I hold the key all the way past where you normally need to have it to crank for 10-15 seconds, then slowly back it off WITHOUT bringing it back all the way, sometimes (maybe 1/10 times) it will "catch" and the engine will crank, and start right up. It never cranks without turning over."

I tried the 1/10th and BOOM -the starter cranked the engine, but didn't catch. Tried it again, literally as the tow driver was walking to my car, and it started right up. I'm thoroughly confused, but at least have narrowed down the problem a bit.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM
1st Gear

I've been having the same problem with my 1998 A4 2.8L Quattro. I just had the starter replaced, and the next day if was in the single digit temps - once again failed to crank. I had to be persistent, try multiple times and leave the key turned until it decided to crank. The key also doesn't spring back correctly all the way into the "run" position. I'm going to replace the ignition starter switch, and hopefully it will fix both problems. It would be nice to know if somebody has been successful in finding the source of the problem.

Quick Reply: 4.2v8 S4 briefly won't crank when cold