General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

500 flywheel HP from a NA audi V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Gear
Default 500 flywheel HP from a NA audi V8

can it be done and how.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Sure it can. Can it be done cost-effectively? Probably not. The main way to increase power is to increase the volume of air in the engine per revolution. That means either increased displacement (think bore/stroke work, and likely custom reciprocating assembly) or higher RPM (head work, cams, likely valves/springs/guides/retainers, plus ECU rework, maybe injectors, maybe bottom end work to handle the higher stresses). Either way, it's cubic dollars.

You could gain power with an increased compression ratio, but that means either different internals or decking the heads, then hoping it was done right, hoping you don't go past the knock threshold, and hoping you never, ever get a bad tank of gas and ping yourself into a) knock-sensor hell, or b) obliteration.

Best bet - spray or boost if you want a high-power Audi V8.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Sure it can. Can it be done cost-effectively? Probably not. The main way to increase power is to increase the volume of air in the engine per revolution. That means either increased displacement (think bore/stroke work, and likely custom reciprocating assembly) or higher RPM (head work, cams, likely valves/springs/guides/retainers, plus ECU rework, maybe injectors, maybe bottom end work to handle the higher stresses). Either way, it's cubic dollars.

You could gain power with an increased compression ratio, but that means either different internals or decking the heads, then hoping it was done right, hoping you don't go past the knock threshold, and hoping you never, ever get a bad tank of gas and ping yourself into a) knock-sensor hell, or b) obliteration.

Best bet - spray or boost if you want a high-power Audi V8.

Sorry for being so limited in the details, the project this is for has a pretty high budget and it's pretty secretive. I do know the idea is to get more air and fuel through the engine, as that's how it makes power. I was actually wondering if there were parts known that produce proven power. HC pistons, wild cams, a shop that CNC's heads and has a program, ECM tuning, etc. We were already looking to make an intake and headers.

We're looking for 500 NA hp. If there are no shops that can offer the parts, if we move forward with the project we'll make them ourselves. It would just be easier if the parts were already being made.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Administrator

The craziest bunch I've seen around lately is www.034motorsport.com - they build some wild cars and may be your best bet. Sounds like a very cool project - hopefully you'll share the finished product here?

Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

thanks, I will check them out.

I will share the project if it gets approved and we do it. Just researching it now.

EDIT: I'll post what I have on it even if it does not get approved, why not huh?

Last edited by Colvindesign; 11-22-2008 at 09:11 AM.