General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'95 Cabrio heater issues- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:50 AM
1st Gear
Default '95 Cabrio heater issues- HELP!

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the forum and I hope I can get some advise on a problem with my heating system. I'm working on my girlfriend's '95 Cabriolet (pretty much a 90 with a convertible top) with, I believe, a 2.9 liter v6 and FWD and ABS. It has only 100,000 miles on it. When she bought it in the summer, it was her dream car, beautifully kept. But there were some things the seller neglected to mention- like that the car has no heat. The heater would blow lukewarm air and it would get neither very hot or very cold.

To make a long story short- the mechanic who charged her to flush the radiator and heater core actually didn't do anything. He claimed the heater core was clogged up and he couldn't flush it. I decided to replace it myself as he wanted to charge $2000 to do it. I spent several weekends taking the dash, controls, and steering out so I could get to the blower box. After much struggle I replaced the heater core and re-covered the blend doors, whose foam coverings had deteriorated. I also flushed out all the old coolant and got as much water out of the system as I could. I got it all back together, put the proper coolant in it and the heat still doesn't work.

Now, a few things I've observed:
The heater core intake pipe is getting plenty hot. I've run the car for 30 or so minutes, the temp gauge stays at exactly halfway and the radiator fans kick on every once in a while. The coolant seems to be flowing, as I can see it running into the top of the reservoir. It doesn't, however, flow through the heater core. The outlet pipe is not heating up and when I open the bleed valve on the outlet, a small amount of fluid comes out with the accompanying air bubbles (I thought I might have an airlock, but I've tried getting the air out as best I could) then it stops.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but there is a vacumn check valve on a hose coming from the right side of the motor that is deteriorated. I wonder if that is part of the heating system? Anyway, is there some sort of valve I'm overlooking? On that maybe opens the heater core when the heat is turned on? Please help!! This has been frustrating to say the least.