General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 a4 2.8, Broke a hose, trying to identify

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 a4 2.8, Broke a hose, trying to identify

So by the intro you may deduce that I'm not much of a gear head. I am however very familiar with a forum and I have not been able to identify the part I have damaged through a search of the photo's on here. I understand engineering and mechanics but do not have the technical vocabulary.

Anyway, I was taking off the valve covers to investigate a separate issue when I felt a hose get caught and before I knew it I heard a snap and the release of some air/pressure. I'll have pics up shortly so I'll try and descibe it. The hose is very small, and not very pliable. I traced it's path and it runs from the top of the engine block, around the right side of the block and down it paralell with the valves, then turning down at front of the compartment toward the left front tire to these blue plastic containers of some sort. I think that last sentence there probably describes exactly what type of hose this is and I realize it makes me sound like an idiot, but I'm accepting that.

I had already been planning on taking the old girl to the shop to fix a bad rear wheel bearing (shocker!), so I was wondering if I might just be able to patch up this hose and take it the 15 miles to the shop. I'm hesitant that this would work because this hose in maintaining some air pressure related to the engine and I'm not confident any patch I might have would maintain this pressure.

Anyway if someone could help me at least name the hose that I broke I think I should be able to learn enough on here to understand the best course of action.

I am uploading pics from my cell phone shortly
Thanks.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Check my reply to this post in the A4 section.