General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A3 1.8T New owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM
1st Gear
Default A3 1.8T New owner

Hello forum,

I have been lurking here for a while, and decided being a new owner I should probably get an account. I have a few questions, that you may be able to help me with.

Firstly, how do I determine my engine, and what are the difference, for example AGU etc.

Secondly, my new A3 1.8T Sport is in need of a new water pump. I have seen several tutorials on-line, is it worth me trying to complete the job myself? I was quoted £350 from independent and £525 from Audi. That was for a new cambelt and W/P. Would it be particularly cheaper if I did it my self than the independent?

Thirdly, If I were to go ahead and try and carry out the task myself, where is the best place to get a cambelt kit from? I have scoured on-line and there doesn't seem to be anywhere that sells the kit with a damper. Are dampers expensive on their own? I assume that when replace cambelt, I would need a new damper? Also, the on-line manuals make it look 'relatively' easy. I'm quite savvy with a screw driver and have had my old impreza to pieces, however I'm not sure how I would fair with Audi. Anything I should look out for?

I look forwards to your replies. TIA. Drive safe!

EDIT: Sorry - Laggy PC made me think that it hadn't actually posted.

Last edited by Spatula Massacre; 01-16-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: multi posting