General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 2.8 Quarttro Oil Leaks

Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
1st Gear
Question A4 2.8 Quarttro Oil Leaks

I have Purchased a 1998 Audi A4 Quarttro 2.8 for my Daughters first car.
I bought it at an Auto Auction. When I first got the car. It was leaking a Quart of Oil a Day. Then me and my Brother in law. Both are Fair Mechanics.
We replaced the pan gasket. Then the valve cover gaskets and cam seals and at first after the repairs, No oil seemed to be Leaking and it looked as if we had resolved the issues. But now the Leaking has started again. It looks like it leaks at the 4 corners of the engine. Maybe valve covers again , we are not sure.
But it seems the engine has a crankcase ventilation issue.
Something seems to be causing abnormal pressures inside the engine causing the seals and gaskets to leak.
My Business is Vintage Motorcycle Carburetors ( Yamaha Virago 81-Now)
I have been working on Cars for nearly 30 years and never had much expierence with this 30 valve Audi engines.
Can someone head me in the right Direction? What device could be Faulty and causing the excessive crankcase pressures. Or is it something with these valve covers I should know. We cleaned evrything Very Well, only used RTV sealer on the bottom corners under the Gaskets.
They sealed well at first and then after only a couple weeks signs of leakage can be seen on the concrete again. Any Help from anyone having knowledge of these engines would be greatly Appreciated....

Old 07-01-2013, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Use RTV Sealer or Not?
Could I have over Tighjtened the valve cover bolts?
Is there a Better Sealer to USE?
Engine Compartment is Smoking alot, Oil is dripping and blowing back on th exhaust.
Please Advise...Thanks in advance...

Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Administrator

The PCV hose (squared-off accordion hose) connecting the two valve covers together can get clogged with oil residue and increase crankcase pressure. It's the one with the round squeeze clips you had to pop off the valve covers when you changed the gaskets. I'd replace that, then do a Seafoam treatment in the intake manifold (google or VagSearch.com can find the procedure for you). Then, if there are still leaks, redo the valve cover gasket job. You have to be careful on the 30v when doing that because the gaskets actually don't seem to seat perfectly when you install them. You need to check the corners constantly when reinstalling the covers to be sure they don't pop out. A lot of guys augment the gaskets with RTV at the corners for a little extra insurance.