Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Tech > General Tech
a4 Oil Filter Cap Leak Problems. >

a4 Oil Filter Cap Leak Problems.

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

a4 Oil Filter Cap Leak Problems.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Default a4 Oil Filter Cap Leak Problems.

Is there some problem with the oil filter cap on my 2006 A4 oil filter that I am not aware of? I've replaced the cap twice and the entire oil filter housing assembly before noticing that the cap I had replaced came loose for a 3rd time. It seems like vibration from the motor is what is loosening the cap. Also I am using after market parts. I suspect that is my problem. Is there any known problem using original parts? I don't think my engine is vibrating excessively. How tight is it supposed to go? American cars are usually only hand tight or a little more. I've gone well beyond that.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

How did you make a post I’m new to this I can’t even get my problem out there

Old 03-11-2019, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

Apparently just like you did. Your post showed up. Next time just go back and start a new thread with!

Old 03-11-2019, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Six drops and a very small puddle on the oppisite side of my oil filter this morning.. My mechanic says he tightened the oil filter according to specs. When I did it myself the first time it wasn't that loose and was leaking a drop every second. Maybe the leak is coming from somewhere else. He doesn't have a lift and has to crawl under there to look at it.

I'm thinking of taking it to town, using the car wash and then heading straight to a real mechanic that has a lift to try and see where it's really coming from.

Are there any known problems with oil leaks on this thing?

Maybe before I do that I will make sure it isn't residual oil coming off from the leak before. It was pretty massive and no one ever washed it off but it's been driven at least fifty miles.
I guess it will either slow down or get worse...