General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 to S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 to S4

So been tossin around this idea, got a MINT 96 A4 FWD, wanting to change the drive train to a AWD S4. Will I be kickin my self in the nuts for doin this or is it real hard to do? I mean I know these cars, but wat are you opinions?

Yes I know buy an S4 and be done with it but I bought a totalled s4 for 500 bux from a local junk yard (they were stupid) Car was rearended, motor and tranny are fine.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

Bad idea... Totally different cars!
You will spend a lot of time, money, frustration, and you may have a hard time getting your Frankentein car registered and smoged...
I think deep down inside you know it...
You would be better off getting a S4 with a busted power plant and perform a "heart" transplant...

Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Takes one day to do the job and only costs about $1500. It's a piece of cake and the majority of the work is done by simply uncapping some hidden access ports and adding a few components.

Or for a second opinion, try the New Owner's Guide at the top of the forum, or the search button, or google, or...

Honestly, this is covered on about every fourth page of the forum. Please search it out - you'll see that the cost of converting exceeds the cost of an S4 most of the time.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Well seen as how I already got an S4 motor and tranny and if ur saying I can get it done for 1500, thats not bad. I do need to buy the rearend though.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Administrator

LOL, no bro - I was being sarcastic. Sorry The swap is VERY involved and tremendously time- and resource-consuming. You'll need many more parts to make it work out. Seriously, type in "A4 to S4" or something like that in the Search option, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

No luck with the search, said no matches found. To be honest I thought the two were identical cars with diff drivetrains. I mean Ive put LS1s in RX7s and even a 240SX but never did anything like this thats why i was wondering how hard would it be. Now as far as parts, if I have the engine and trans what else would I need other then the rear diff?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 PM
4th Gear

the tunnel for the tranny in the fwd audi and awd audis are different youll need and new awd chassis to make it fit, after that its a matter of replacingthe egnien, mounts harness(probably alot of splicing unless you get the european prefacelift harness) ecu, gear slector fot eh 6 cog, different driveshafts and some misc stuff. overall not worth it, but seriously if you get an s4 engien and tranny sell it for some good money and buy yourself and s4 they under 10k now.