General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 TDI Oil in Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Default A4 TDI Oil in Coolant

Have a 1998 A4 1.9 TDI With AFN Engine.

About a month ago engine started using lots of oil but didn't know where it was going.

Its not burning oil, engine runs well, no obvious signs of coolant in oil and no major leeks anywhere to be found around outside of engine.

Checked the coolant level the other day and - O dear - thick black moose type substance proceeded to oose from the coolant filler cap. MMmmm Not good.

Expected it to be either a blown head gasket and / or damaged head and patiently proceeded to remove and inspect the head and gasket.

However all appears to be fine up until now after initial inspection. This worries me as I expected to see more evidence of the problem had it been the head /gasket. Or could it still be the gasket and it is difficult to detect signs of seepage from the oil ways to the cooling ways? Or could there be some other area around the engine system where oil comes close to the coolant? P.S haven't yet checked head for warpage.

Any help on this one would be warmly appreciated.

Richard

Old 11-01-2006, 12:01 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: A4 TDI Oil in Coolant

You most likely have a bad oil cooler. The oil is cooled by coolant. Its very rare for a head gasket to cause oil and coolant to mix.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Default RE: A4 TDI Oil in Coolant

Thanks for that, didn't realise it had an oil cooler.

Will check it out before getting head pressure tested

Richard