Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Tech > General Tech
 A6 2.5 TDI faulty fuel injection pump symptoms >

A6 2.5 TDI faulty fuel injection pump symptoms

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A6 2.5 TDI faulty fuel injection pump symptoms

Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 2.5 TDI faulty fuel injection pump symptoms

Hi All,
I have posted a cry for help, (on this matter) in the A6 section of the forum. Please check it out, any advice would be much appreciated.

Having had a cam belt kit fitted and a water pump, my engine sounds noisy when cold, and shakes. The engine ran fine before going to the garage.
When the engine warms up the problem is not as bad, but still there.
I have had the fuel injection pump checked, and it is faulty. The pump can not make up it`s mind when best to inject the diesel, but is at least still running.

I have spent £500 having the belts and water pump done, and am now looking at a further possible bill of £1000 to supply and fit the fuel pump. I would hate to spend that if the symptoms described above ar not consistant with a fuel pump problem.
The car is R registered and has done some 230000, yes two hundred and thirty thousand mile.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes
Andy G

Old 03-25-2006, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: A6 2.5 TDI faulty fuel injection pump symptoms

Sounds more like a pump timing issue. Especially considering its been that way since they replaced the timing belt. The injection pump is also driven by the timing belt and must be timed to the crank the same way the cam is.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for you comments Dankhound,
I spoke to an Audi engineer only yesterday, and he suggested quite the same thing. The car is going to be checked by him on Monday. I will keep the site posted as to how I go on.
An independent fuel injection pump engineer, previously said the pump would not run if the timing was wrong, and as long as the pump was set to within a given tolerance:- ``the pump would self recognise top dead centre and adjust and lock into that``.
Lets hope it is only a timing problem, as a little adjusting sounds cheaper than a new pump.

Best Wishes
Andy G

Old 03-26-2006, 11:00 PM
3rd Gear

Usually disel injection pumps arent self learning. A pump that is slightly off wil result in a rough running engine. It will run thou.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Hi,
the car has been checked, the injection pump it not thought to be the cause of the rough running.
The cause of the problem is now thought to be a faulty damper, causing the timing belt to affect the timing of the pump as you suggested.
The remedy for the problem is to replace the damper, but the timing belt may need to be replaced by another new one, (not good but still cheaper than a pump).
I will keep the site posted, next action around the 8th of April.

Best Wishes
Andy G.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:48 PM

sounds like some one hasn't done the job right who replaced the timing belt?? get them to recheck their work, I would say the pump was not locked in place when the timing belt was replaced but that only one possible answer

Old 03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your comment [email protected]
The car has now been back (a fourth time) to the garage that changed the belt, and they have agreed to check the work again. They also commented that (for some models) Audi fit a modified part, and are now wondering whether this model should be included in that group, but were not advised of this when they purchassed the `Belt Kit`.
I will keep the site posted on this Saga.

Best Wishes
Andy G

Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Dankhound, and Dave the Rave. ( I am a Cooper fan two),
The Garage checked their work and did the big fix.
They examined the car and found that 'something had jumped'.
There is some kind of hook shaped steel, that should engage with a pin. Some how the hook and pin were never engaged, or as they say ' something jumped'. As this was the case, the belt was never really tensioned at all.
The new belt was found to be scored, and the writing on the outer edge all gone.
The hook shaped steel, had been rubbing against one of the rollers, and the revolving roller had warn away a good 1/2' of the steel hook.
The garage had to tow the car to their base from my home. The problem got so bad that the night before I was to drive it to the garage, the car would not start. They could not get it started in the morning, so a tow was the only way.
The car runs fine now and is once more in the good books..... ah yes, but there is still that oil leak.
The car is going to a different garage for the rocker cover gaskets changing, and the engine breather + a service. Lets hope this doesn't turn inti a major saga.

Thanks for your help with the timing belt fiasco.

Best Wishes
Andy G