General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

a6 buttons radio dash paint coming off wearing off, help !!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Default a6 buttons radio dash paint coming off wearing off, help !!

2002 audi a6, the interior painted frequently used items are wearing off. buttons on radio, a/c, headlight switch.

any refurb place that will do this? any other solutions ?

dean

Old 12-15-2006, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: a6 buttons radio dash paint coming off wearing off, help !!

Youll probably have to call around but you should be able to find a place. In chicago there is a company called Lords of Leather that does them. Not sure if they are natiional thou.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:36 PM

replace them if they bother you. call the stealership.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear

The radio and the ac control head are like 700 bucks each and not all the buttons are available serperatly. Which really on leaves the option of repairr.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:19 PM

i'm having the same problem on my 2002 a6 avant. when i had my 2001 a6 2.7t with theBose premium sound system i didn't recall such an obvious finish deficiency.

given that it looks like replacement is the only way to correct it but replacing it with the same thing is only a short-term fix so for a longerterm fix i'm inclined to just upgrade it instead to the bose premium center console along with the multi-function steering wheel.

has anyone looked into this possibility? I've started to poke around in scrap yards for these parts but i'm curious to know if anyone has already successfully embarked on this and can share any tips or advice and expected cost and effort of doing such an upgrade.

thanks,
Humphrey

Old 01-11-2007, 03:30 AM
1st Gear

I know this is going to sound really flakey but hear me out. I had this issue with my 2003 A4 on the window buttons. They don't sell those seperately either and I was not about to spend the fortune they wanted for paint. I was sitting in my car one day and happened to have a permant black marker with me. I carefully touched them up and could not believe how good it looked. The first time I used "Sharpie" brand and it came off after a few weeks. I then tried another brand and it worked great. I sold the car a year later and it was still looking good. Sorry I don't recall the brand I used in the end.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

take out the radio and replace it you can take the ac out take it apart clean off all the old paint and repaint the buttons. worked for me.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

I had a few issues with it too. bought my car used and not reconditioned yet, but I did get the car for a whole lot less.. Dealership or stealerships don't sell the individual parts, they make you buy the whole unit. I tried a salvage yard...same thing. Buy the whole unit.

So I did a few other things. Took apart the center console, went to home depot, bought the matching color and spray painted certain items without any white markings. I agree with the black marker, my buddy suggested something like aaron brothers, michaels or a paint shop to get markers that are specifically designed to go on plastic and resist finger wear.

I will post up pics of my reconditioned car once completed. Should up in a week or so. I'm still waiting on one AC ****.