General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A6 C5 rear seat back dismantle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 C5 rear seat back dismantle?

Hi all - I haven't posted much, but have searched the forum without any success, so first off, apologies if this has already been covered.

I have 2000 9UK) model A6 C5 Avant with split folding rear seats. I have just bought leather interior (also split folding rear seats), including door cards from 2002 model, which I have (mostly!) managed to successfully install - many thanks to those who wrote up on this.

I have 2 questions - the 'new' rear seat side bolsters are a few inches longer than those I am replacing. The bottom pin pushes into place just fine, however the top of the bolster sticks up about 2 inches more than the old ones, slightly obstructing where the seatbelts would come from. I wonder if this interior is from a saloon model with folding rear seats, or is the fact that the bolsters are different due to some other reason - perhaps parcel shelf/retractable luggage net layout. The only other difference is my existing interior had luggage net/dog guard fitted to back of rear seats and the leather one doesn't - could this somehow possibly explain the difference in the side bolsters. Either way I have a complete black leather interior...except for 2 charcoal cloth bolsters which I would love to replace!

The second question I have is (and maybe I am being a bit obsessive here):
Is it possible to dismantle the rear seat back so as to swop the plywood/cloth backs?

I have 2 reasons for this: Firstly, if I successfully managed to do this, the cloth colour on the seat rear will match the rest of the boot/trunk compartment rather than having the seat back a different colour. Secondly, swopping these around will also enable the retractable luggage net/dog guard to be fitted to the new leather seats.

Any feedback on this greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gary