General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Default ABS Sensor

Hey guys,
I'm having trouble removing a front passenger ABS sensor on a 2001 A4Q 1.8t. Even after trying to pry it off with a screwdriver the damn thing wouldnt come off. I dont want to put too much pressure on it, so I need to know from people that have taken it off before how hard is it supposed to be to take it off, like should you be able to take it off by hand??
Thanks.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: ABS Sensor

did you take off the bolt holding it on and spraying it with pb blaster

Old 05-03-2008, 09:41 PM

I'm almost affraid to ask, but what bolt?? The book didnt say anything about a bolt...

Old 05-03-2008, 11:05 PM
4th Gear

there should be a small bolt, a 6mm hex i believe, that need to come off before the abs sensor can be removed. also i should have asked is it the front or rear, and a pic would help me point out where the bolt is/should be.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Administrator

My rear sensor doesn't have the hex bolt - apparently that was only on some models. The rest of us have a press-fit ABS sensor. To the OP, I managed to shatter mine trying to get it out of the upright. Unless you're removing it to replace it (or replace the spindle) you're FAR better off tracing the wire back to the connector where it plugs in, unplug it, and leave it in the spindle while you do the work you're doing. If you are having trouble prying it out, then it's probably welded itself in there and will likely only come out in pieces (ask me how I know this lol).