General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC blowing hot air...HELP! (B8 S4)

Old 07-18-2016, 01:54 AM
1st Gear
Default AC blowing hot air...HELP! (B8 S4)

I have a 2010 S4 and my AC just went out. Unfortunately is not under warranty anymore so I'm avoiding taking it to the dealer. I ran a reg obd2 scanner but it found no errors. I don't know if it's because it needs a VAG COM in order for it to pick up OEM codes. My money is on that it's the pressure sensor since that seems like the most common thing from the research I've done. Any help or suggestions will be really appreciated. Thanks guys

Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear

Check and see if the compressor is actually turning when the A/C in engaged. The outter portion of the clutch on the compressor will turn regardless. When activated, the whole thing should turn. If it's turning, the pressure sensor is good. However, check the electrical connector at the compressor for the clutch. You can also jump the pressure switch at the connector (do not jump the connector for the compressor clutch, much wailing and gnashing of teeth will ensue) and see if the compressor will come on. If it's blowing good cold air, you'll know the refrigerant charge is good. Replacing the pressure switch however will require taking it to a shop that can service the A/C as the refrigerant will need to be evacuated before replacing the switch.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
Check and see if the compressor is actually turning when the A/C in engaged. The outter portion of the clutch on the compressor will turn regardless. When activated, the whole thing should turn. If it's turning, the pressure sensor is good. However, check the electrical connector at the compressor for the clutch. You can also jump the pressure switch at the connector (do not jump the connector for the compressor clutch, much wailing and gnashing of teeth will ensue) and see if the compressor will come on. If it's blowing good cold air, you'll know the refrigerant charge is good. Replacing the pressure switch however will require taking it to a shop that can service the A/C as the refrigerant will need to be evacuated before replacing the switch.
I realized that when I turn on the car, the pulley spins and the clutch also spins regardless. When I turn on the AC, it still keeps spinning. What I noticed tho is that the clutch is slightly detached from the pulley, like from one side only, not fully. Would this be my problem? How fixable is it?

Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Mijolkause; 07-22-2016 at 01:53 AM.