General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC no good

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:58 PM
1st Gear
Default AC no good

My wife drives a 2008 Q7 4.2
I'm looking for some pointers.
AC started blowing only cold air on driver side.Will not switch to heat.
Being its summer,it's not the end of the world but today it started something new.The AC comes on no wear near full blast even on high fan setting,for about 30-40 seconds.Then the whole thing stops on both sides(no air).It starts back up and does the same thing over and over while it makes a sound like a pump struggling on the passenger side.
I had it at Audi 2 months ago and after $3200 I ran out of budget.So they put it back together without fixing anything.
Said it would be atleast $2000 more just to completely take the dash out and then plus parts.
Any help.
I've changed the amp and fixed the water damage to it and fixed the sunroof leak.So my skill level is not professional but not a total loss either.
Please help!!

Old 10-13-2016, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like the servos that run the internal air guide flaps are messed up. Unfortunately, short of taking the climate control out and replacing those servos, which requires removing the dash (a real PITA), there is no quick fix.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Servos

Any idea if this could be a home project?
Or do you need the special Audi tool set for this
fix?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear

I wouldn't think you'd need any special tools. You could definitely do this at home but I'd see if I could not get repair manual to show the process. You can find Audi Repair Manuals (usually electronic versions) on the net. They might cost $100 or so but the one I got for my A8L (D2) has been worth every penny.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:35 PM
1st Gear
Default 2008 Q7 problems AC and mmi

So.I think I already spoke about the climate controle system blowing cold air on the driver side,always.
Some more problems has been added to the list.Now I have water coming out behind the mmi at the driver side knee area.Havent rained in two weeks and car lives inside so new problem there.The other knight it did the water leak on both sides in the front.Assuming some sort of condensation problem.???
Problem number 8k.I fixed the amp that had water damage and it worked great for a while.Used plumbing epoxy putty on the downspout connection where leak supposedly happened.Now the console lights by the gear changer does not work.So sometimes the mmi will come on and stay on until the car gets switched off.When this happens,the only controles that work is the ones on the steering.If you hold the power button when it doesn't work,the mmi and sound comes on(still no console lights or function)but just for 5 seconds or so.
?????
Please help!!

Old 11-26-2016, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear

There are drain tubes that are located on both sides of the tunnel over the transmission. Usually they are accessible by removing the lower carpet/upholstery trim of the center console (you also need to remove the floormats and carpets under them). They are silicone tubes that connect the condensation drain trays and pass through holes in the body over the transmission. The outside ends of them are made to where they stay slightly closed to prevent backflow. I found that this holds too much water and allows for the formation of algae and other gunk that eventually clogs the ends. I snipped the ends off so they are open all the time and have not had to clean them out since. There is also at least 3 drains forward of the firewall in the engine compartment. One over each wheel well to allow for rain run off. Another larger one that you cannot see under the climate control air handling box in the center of the car forward of the windshield. It is about 4-5" (100-130mm) wide by 1" (25mm) running from side to side. It is rubber, I think. But it also closed up slightly on the end allowing sediment to accumulate blocking it. Removing it is impossible without dropping the transmission or pulling the climate control box (forget that crap). Clearing it requires snaking in a length of hose (1/2", 13mm or smaller) under the unit and blowing some compressed air (or water) in there to force the accumulated crap (mud) out of it. It also drains out directly over the transmission. Once you get it flowing again, take a waterhose and flush the area out making sure it drains. If this drain is stopped up it will allow rain water to flow into the cabin. The interior condensation pans should catch it but if they are also stopped up, it will flood the car.

Once you get it cleaned out and dried out, I suspect the lights will start working again.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi Q7

Thank you for your help.Now I just have to figure out how to get in there.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:56 AM
2nd Gear

I might want to clarify that the condensation trays I mention that are connected to the two drains under the center console are located under the dash inside the car. They collect the condensation from the Climate Control when the A/C is used in warm weather. However, if the rain drains located under the hood and forward of the firewall are clogged or do not drain fast enough to prevent water from pooling around the air box located under the hood, it can spill over into the inside of the car via that air box since it serves are a passage way through the firewall. If this happens, it can overwhelm the smaller drains for the condensation trays and spill over into the floor boards. Cleaning the two outer rain drains over wheel wells is quite easy. You can reach them with your hands. The center one under the air box is the hardest one to get but snaking a small hose in there under the air box and getting some air flow or water flow in there to get things cleaned out will fix it. You will see if the water starts to pool if the thing is clooged up. Once you get it cleared, the water should flow out noticably quickly.. If it does, you've got it.

One of the couple of times my condensation drains stopped up inside, it dumped a LOT of water out of the rear console vents into the back floorboards when I pulled out from a stop. I was surprised at how much water came out. It was at least gallon. i could hear it sloshing in the ducts that run the length of the console. LOL I used a shop vac to get most of the rest out. Had to leave the floor mats and front carpets out for a week or so to let it dry out. No mold developed, thankfully.

Last edited by dave944; 11-30-2016 at 09:00 AM.