General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

aftermarket stereo & OBD problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Default aftermarket stereo & OBD problem

hi all,
I havea aftermarket stereo in my 2000 a4.I understand that because of this i can not communicate with obd diagnostic equiptment. Is there a fix or do i just have to pull out my head unit when i bring in my car for service? Do i need my factory stereo pluged infor this to work or can i just pull out the plug on my aftermarket stereo?
I read that there is a grey wire (k line)on the stock wire harness that can be removed to solve this. Do i just snip that wire and tape it up or do i have to bypass something? Will disconnecting this wire affect my stereo or car? Also which wire am i looking for on the wire harness?(Is it number 7 on the harness?) please help.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: aftermarket stereo & OBD problem

all it means is that you dash panel insert has no communication w/ your radio control module.

there will be a code for it. the Technician will easily be able to identify the reason cause its sitting in front of him and he'll just ignore it.

but your car can still communicate w/ diagnostic equipment. just not w/ the radio.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

i brought my car in for service and they said that they can not get any codes because of the aftermarket radio

Old 12-22-2007, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear

The installation was performed improperly. They needed to leave the diag wire alone when they installed it. They probably shorted the wire to ground or power causing the diagnostic bus to go down. Sometimes just unplugging the radio will allow it to comunicate. Other times the wiring needs to be repaired. In any event the factory radio is not needed to comunicate with other modules.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

so is there any way to leave my aftermarket radio in and still connect to OBD Reader.
i have read that there is a blue or grey wire that needs to be disconected.
can anyone confirm or does anyone know how to fix this problem.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

so anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?
I've spoken to my stereo install guys & they told me that i have to put my stock radio back if iwant the obd scan tool to work. (theshop works on alot of german cars and they say most audi carshave this problem). I also spoke with my local audi tech and he said the same thing. the aftermarket radio will no allow the obd scanner to work. he tried to hook up the obd and nothing happens.(no comunication) The audi tech also said it's a common issue with aftermarket stereos, but he heard there is a grey wire on the stock wire harness that needs to be disconected. Can anyone confirm wich wire?????
Please help!!!!!!!!!!