General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Aftermarket true HID replacement for H4 Hi/Lo Bi Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 PM
1st Gear
Smile Aftermarket true HID replacement for H4 Hi/Lo Bi Xenon

Good evening everyone:

Posted this a while back, lost the responses as it was too old. Any suggestions on aftermarket true HID? Need a H4 Hi/Lo Bix-Xenon option, prefer German made but I remember there are a few really inexpensive options that are pretty reliable, any suggestions? Many thanks!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:28 PM
4th Gear

ebay or vvme.com (ask some of the other members for the ebay name of vvme) there chinese made but have a us distributer. its like $70 which isnt bad at all when you consider that OEM bulbs alone cost 120. makes a real difference when driving my buddies always bitching to me about how my lights are better than those on his audi 90.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 AM
1st Gear
Smile

Thanks SAudi! How about the reliability and does the HID last a fairly long time? How about beam pattern? Any issues with them? I converted my stock 9004 into European H4 and the beam pattern with H4 130w/100w is really nice. I'm hoping that true HID will make it even better! Any thoughts on the beam pattern?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 AM
4th Gear

As Saudi said, check
www.vvme.com
for a bi-xenon conversion.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:07 AM
4th Gear

the hids last quite a bit longer than halogen just make sure you wear gloves when you install the bulbs i got some grease on one of mine and it started to turn purple until it just failed. there have been some issues with the ballasts burning out but one its a cheap system where the OEM ones go into the hundreds. the beam pattern isnt really different its jsut the light output is better and goes further.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks SAudi, I just ordered one H4 Bi-Xenon from that company on eBay, the true Bi-Xenon with a moving part that tilt the Xenon globe into Hi beam position. With S&H, just under $100, not too bad. Thanks for all your help!!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 PM
1st Gear
Smile Update on the installation of the Bi-Xenon H4 HID kit

Hi everyone:

My Audi mechanic installed the true Bi-Xenon H4 today from vvme, it works nice and with the high beam just a flick away, it is true Bi-Xenon, very very nice. I'm not sure if the light output is that impressive though, I ordered the 4300K which suppose to give you the most light output. When compare next to my non-OEM Lo only H4 with 4300K Xenon on my Saab, it seems a little less powerful. However, with the price under $100, even though it is made in China which I don't really like, it works so far! Hopefully it will last for a few years. Cheers, everyone.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

Im doing the install on my 02 A4 today with VVME's h7 4300k kit

ill let you know how it does, and take some pics side by side to an 08 range rover with thier lights on.

oh the perks of working for land rover

Old 11-21-2008, 03:21 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Good luck on the installation, I'm sure it will turn out just fine. Like I said, for the price, it is a bargain. BTW, I've always fond of Range Rover , the last generation ones , not to keen on the new ones though ! We should all stick to Audis!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 AM
1st Gear
Talking Side by side comparison 4300K vvme HID kit

Good evening everyone:

Finally got the chance to fire up both cars and compare the HID lights. First car: 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v with vvme 4300K Bi-Xenon HID. Second car: 1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo with Philips 4300K Lo only HID. The output of the Philips is definitely much brighter and the lights look much more silver white than the vvme's. vvme looks a bit like the PIAA halogen bulbs, much brighter than halogen but does not look silver white, more like superwhite halogen.

So for the output and the whiteness of the lights, Philips won both counts. For the price factor, vvme won! May be the 5000K vvme will look closer to the Philips, but the output of light is still not as good as the Philips. Perhaps other members can do a comparison as well.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket true HID replacement for H4 Hi/Lo Bi Xenon