General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air Bag Light !!!! Does anyone know if....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Air Bag Light !!!! Does anyone know if....

I have read on these forums that you can reset the airbag light by disconnecting the battery, I know it resets the radio but does it cause any problems with the immobilizer/remote central locking??? Any help would be appreiciated Rich.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Air Bag Light !!!! Does anyone know if....

not really if anything thats what caused it, it did in mine anyways, best bet get a $40 code reader off ebay. it says time and money and is a must for a b5 owner because i think we can all agree anything upsets the error codes in our cars.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 PM
TBM
1st Gear

I have a persistent problem with the light coming on in my 98 A4. My mechanic found a code for the passenger seat bag and reset it. That lasted a few months. The next time it was reset it only lasted a few days. I took it to the dealer and they came up with the same fault code but it didn't distinguish between the bag's trigger or the sensor that sends the code. Anyway, I was quoted $250 but still have not fixed it.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 PM

mines on, and dealer told me airbag control module, which is the brain for all the airbags in my car

Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Site Moderator

I would get a cheap scanner and erase the fault, dis-connecting the battery can erase the basic settings for the throttle body and cause a check engine light.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 PM
3rd Gear

Not going to happen, they need to be reset. Any hard code will not erase when you unhook power.

Chances are your ACM is going out.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:07 PM

when you do any work on the car the ground wire is normally taken off ( some people take both wires off and dont refit properly ) positive + first then the ground because this resets the airbags but wont clear a hard code which is a fault,

most common fault is the passenger airbag because it can be switched off with the key and it tends to have a bad connection ( try cleaning the lock with WD40 ) that's if you have the lock? if not its VAG or other diagnostic