General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Airbag light is on

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Default Airbag light is on

Hi..this is my first time posting....I have a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro with 70,000miles 2.8L...I took it to the carwash yesterday and they vacuumed out the car and then took it through the car wash...When I got it, I noticed the Airbag light was on...It was not on before the carwash event. Can anyone help out? Could something have come unplugged or could water have leaked in somewhere?

Has anyonelse had this issue? Thanks for helping out ~ Jules

Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Guru
Default RE: Airbag light is on

welcome to the airbag light club

when they were vacuming they could of hit a sensor that is under your seat...... you might check to make sure everything is connected completely...... mine tripped when i moved my seat....... and everything is nice and tight....... i will worry about it at some point

Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
4th Gear

yep what turbo said, lift upteh back seat (im guessing that where the airbag module is ont eh newer A4) and unplug and replug it into the airbag module.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the quick responses....I just went outside and took the backseat out and checked under both the passenger and driver seats...I could not find anything unplugged..but there are lots of wires....Is there anyway of describing what the airbag module loks like? Then I can unplug and replug...thanks again ~ jules

Old 04-01-2008, 02:07 PM
4th Gear

it not under the front seat, its the back seats, just pull the bottom part forward and the whole thing comes out, there should be the abs module and the other one should be the SRS module, the SRS module is the smaller one.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:12 AM
2nd Gear

I would tend to think they brushed against one of the connections under the front seat thats usually the thing that sets the light off (thats the only place where there is exposed airbag wires, its the yellow connector under there incase your wondering). Theres probably nothing unplugged they just jostled a wire and pissed the airbag computer off, the light wont go off once its plugged back in, if there is any moment where it thinks it might be unplugged for even a split second it will turn the light on and leave it on, even if the wire is plugged back in or is just loose. Unplugging it or unplugging the battery wont do any good i dont think, it has to be cleared with VAG-COM. Ive never heard of the airbag computer being under the back seat either that would really surprise me, almost every car is in the center front of the inside of the car (for my car its behind the radio and ive never heard of one thats different)

Old 04-18-2008, 12:01 AM

soo.... does anyone really know what to do? because mine has the same problem

Old 04-20-2008, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear

^^^ yeah well the airbag light could be on for about 60 different reasons, so you need to vag it. For the person who started the thread its probably just a bumped wire and it needs to be reset, but it can also be any number of things so u need to find out what the problem is with VAG first, do a search for airbag light.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

First you need to scan the car to find out where the airbag light is coming onfrom. It could be the driver's, passenger or rear side.
Your gettin a fault because of a bad connection in the wiring harness usually under the passenger or driver's side seat.
I recommend that you take it to the dealership and have them do the rewiring of your airbag harness.They'll either put a more betterup to date harness in place of it or they'll just cutand reconnect the wires with crimps.Clear the fault and send you on your way.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

^^ haha and hopefully they wont refuse to like maplewood audi in MN and say "oh yeah its the airbag itself, it always is, we replace them all the time, 300 parts 200 labor....."

Generally though i think if its under the seat you just need to clean the connection there, i used some contact cleaner. That connector can also become loose so you can just zip tie it to hold it together, or just push the connector together, reset it, let it come back in a couple weeks and do it again.