General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Default Airbags

Does anybody know what does it mean, in Audi information (user manual) that Audi airbags open only "once"? Does it mean that the car is useless after the opening of the airbags?Does thedashboard get destroyed?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Airbags

air bags are a one use only...

the car is only useless if the reason the airbags deployed is that severe

Old 03-11-2008, 03:50 PM

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I conclude that in the case of a minor accident if the airbags are deployed no severe damage is caused to the Audi, but it may be an expensive charge for reinstallment. Am I right?

Sorry one last thing. For the airbags to work, is it necessary for the occupants to be wearingtheir safety belts? Or they work independently?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear

Seat airbags are around 250 i think, front airbags are even more probably more like 400 or so im not sure you can call and see (airbag computers cost around 700 i think and also need to be replaced). However, I would think insurance would cover that. The impact would be severe enough that you would have to replace body or engine parts too so that wouldnt be the most of your problems (they arent designed to go off in minor accidents). (Seat belt tensioners which also use pyrotechnics and must be replaced after being deployed.These will deployin less severe accidents so those might possibly go off with no engine damage and minor body damage)

It is not necassary for occupants to be wearing there seatbelts for them to operate. However, they keep your body in position for the airbags and they can harm instead of do good if you arent buckled. Depending on your year, the passanger side airbag wont go off if no one is in the seat or they are too light (if the person was heavy enoughim not sure if it wouldnt if there seatbelt was not on as well). The only thing that is based off of seatbelts to my knowledge is theREAR seat-belt tensioners, they sense if the seatbelt is in use or not and i believe if they arent being used, they dont fire.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

yea... seatbelt need to be engaged for the pre tensioners to fire... but standard and side curtain airbags will fire as soon as the abs control module recieves two independent crash signals.

they are very expensive to replace. but insurance should always cover it... but then again circumstances dictate