General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Another BOSE problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Another BOSE problem...

I recently took on someone else's disaster of a project...

1999 Audi A4 FWD

I have taken care of all of the major/minor mechanical problems. Now I am faced with a BOSE issue. Not knowing about the BOSE system, I took the car to the dealer today to see if they could unlock the stereo. I figured it was simply the issue of retrieving the code to unlock the "safe" mode.

They successfully retrieved the code but said they couldn't get the code to unlock the "safe" mode. They told me to take thecar home andlet the car sit with the key turned over for an hour and try the code again. Thier diagnosis was that the code was incorrectly entered enough times to "lock" the system and it needed to sit with the key over for at least an hour to clear.

This has not been successful. They now told me I had to purchase another head unit or go with an aftermarket head unit. I don't really want to defile the face unit by switching it out with something other then the Audi stock unit. No surprise, I don't want to pay them another $400 for a head unit.

The stereo worked before we pulled the motor. We expected to have to pay to retrieve the code, but now the dealer is telling me that we have no choice but to replace the head unit.

Please advise...

Thanks,

Red

Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Another BOSE problem...

No one has any advice on this? I am still hoping to preserve the stock head unit but I am getting close to breaking down and buying something after market.

Would it be a good idea to post a WTB in the classified's for another Bose head unit? I don't mind buying another one but I would have to know it would have the right code. I just don't want to be right back in these shoes after buying another used head unit.

Has anyone ever purchased a used head unit with success?

Thanks...

Old 02-11-2008, 04:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Another BOSE problem... Code help

Can Anyone help me, i cant get myConcert Bose towork in my car i have the vin of the car and of the radio, can anyone help me it's in safe mode helpppp!!!

A4 Quattro 30v 2.8 5 speed

Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

For the original poster, have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes again? It'lll clear/erase any info the car has stored. Then try the code once more.

30vQuattro, are you suggesting you don't have a code? It should be located in either the car manual or the audio manual, I forget which one at the moment. If you don't have one or either, check the spare tire compartment, there should be a sticker or something with some info on it, including the radio code.

First poster, why don't you check your spare tire compartment aswell for the radio code. It could be possible you have the wrong code.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

do you know which one it is though there's a lot of numbers and it's kinda hard to understand anything on that sticker, and no i do not have the manual with the code in it all i have is the vin of the radio and thats it... I'm pretty much screwed... help

Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

Sorry about the delay, I don't check message boards often, even less often is I check every forum. Your best bet is to PM me.

I'm surpsied no one else said it, but the radio code should be 4 numbers. So look for a set of 4 numbers and give it a try. I vaguely remember how to punch the number in, if you need me to look at the manual to find out for you, just let me know.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

thanks... but yeah it wasn't back there it was just a tire pressure and accesories that came with the car sticker, i took it to audi where it is getting one of the tranny seals replaced so i'll get it while im there... thanks for the help!!!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for replying...

I was able to reset the head unit by leaving the car on for an hour (key turned over engine off) with the head unit on. It gives you two chances to enter the code right then it locks out.

This website has instructions for all of the Audi head units.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/

R_D

Old 02-20-2008, 04:08 PM

next time have the system cleared of codes * have the Cmos cleared" then it has no code