General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Assistance with garage quote - Geneva Foreign and Sport, Geneva NY

Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Default Assistance with garage quote - Geneva Foreign and Sport, Geneva NY

And now for post number 2.

I recently purchased a 2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5speed, which promply displayed a CEL. I looked up the codes myself, and then took it to a local euro shop (Geneva Foreign and Sport) for an estimate on the service needed, and more thorough diagnosis. I approached the service personel and made it crystal clear the dealer that actually sold me the car would perform the required maintenence, and the purpose of my visit was for an estimate, and a 'general health' inspection as it is a used car, new to me.

I called the shop today, which informed me I had a balance due of 460 dollars, citing the plugs and plug wires as the culprit of the CEL. My question to the community is, have you ever been 'forced' service, such as this example, and doesn't this invoice price seem excessively high? I signed no sort of work release for ANY of this work to be performed, and made it abundantly clear that the previous dealer would perform the necessary service, and this shops primary focus should be finding preventive maintenance that should be performed. Out of my list (CD Player code, driver side door lock problems, clutch health, and CEL) they hit 2/4 (CEL + clutch) - Mind you, they don't list anything on the invoice about the clutch, just 'Check clutch'. Makes me wonder what I would of paid if they performed all the service I requested. They did find a 'large evaporative leak' in the rear, which they patched for 70 dollars. For 70 bucks, I almost expected a new line.

So my question(s) to the community - They listed the plugs they intended to use as K20TXR ND - I found them to be a Denso plug, and I believe OEM's are Bosch or NGK - What's up with this. They're listed at a whopping 8.75 A PLUG. The wires are listed at 160 bucks, which seems reasonably fair, looking at ECS tuning. The labor is listed at 100 dollars, however. This about right for Audi service, both in technical knowledge and price.

So for plugs, wires and labor, I'm looking at ~317 dollars. To be honest, I had a low maintenance Integra before the Audi. I'm fine spending money, I'm not ok burning it. Just looking for some feedback on price, and service. Not really into getting jerked around with stupid nonsense like this. Thanks for your input.